Projectile Measurements: RPM, Position, Velocity, acceleration

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with verifying theories related to their project involving measurements from a bb being fired from an airsoft gun. They are unsure about the equipment needed for these measurements and suggest using a high-speed camera with markers to calculate velocity and position. They also mention using a sonic rangefinder or radar for these measurements and an infrared laser for calculating rpm. They ask for advice on how these measurements are typically done and mention researching external ballistics for more information.
petitericeball
Hello everybody,

I'm working on a project and I want to verify a few theories I have. I'm unfamiliar with equipment for taking these types of measurements, so I wanted a little bit of help on this. Basically a bb is fired from an airsoft gun (350-550 fps), and I want to find the velocity/time, position/time, and initial muzzle rpm out of the barrel. Here is the setup I have in mind, but there has to be a better way.

Using a high speed camera, you have distance and elevation markers. To compensate for the angle which would cause error in the height measurement, the camera would be placed at the focus of a curved "marker", and the marker will serve as a distance marker as well. The camera will be moved after a set of shots at a certain distance, the average will be taken, and the velocity will be calculated by taking the time between markers. Then plot, fit, and there is the velocity/time and position/time graphs.

For RPM, it seems that you'd need to mark out the "equator" on the bb, and count the number of rotations per second using the high speed camera.

Anyways, how are these measurements normally done? Sonic rangefinders for position, then take the derivative for velocity? Radar for velocity/position? Infrared laser for rpm?

Thanks for the help guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What will get you on the right track...look up (EXTERNAL BALISTICS)

Related to Projectile Measurements: RPM, Position, Velocity, acceleration

1. What is the purpose of measuring RPM, position, velocity, and acceleration of a projectile?

The purpose of measuring these factors is to gather data and understand the motion and behavior of a projectile. This data can be used to make predictions and calculations for future experiments or real-world applications.

2. How is RPM (revolutions per minute) measured in a projectile?

RPM can be measured by using a tachometer, which is a device that measures the number of rotations per minute of a spinning object. This can be attached to the projectile or its launcher to measure the RPM.

3. How is the position of a projectile measured?

The position of a projectile can be measured by using a tracking system such as a camera or sensors. These systems track the movement of the projectile and can provide precise position data at different points in time.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in a projectile?

The velocity of a projectile is the rate of change of its position, while acceleration is the rate of change of its velocity. In other words, acceleration is the change in velocity over time. As a projectile moves, its velocity and acceleration may change due to factors such as gravity and air resistance.

5. How can projectile measurements be used in real-world applications?

Projectile measurements can be used in various real-world applications such as studying the flight of a rocket, analyzing the trajectory of a sports ball, or calculating the distance and speed of a bullet. These measurements can also be used in industries such as aerospace, defense, and sports to improve performance and accuracy.