Projectile, max height half the range, find angle

In summary, to find the angle of projection for which the maximum height is equal to half of the range, you can use the equations for vertical and horizontal motion. By setting these equations equal to each other and using Pythagoras, you can determine that the initial vertical speed is 8 times the initial horizontal speed. From this, you can use the tangent inverse function to find the angle of projection, which is 82.82 degrees.
click0420

Homework Statement

find the angle of the projection for which the maximum height is equal to half of the range

Homework Equations

vertical: h =(vsinθ)t-0.5(g)(t^2)
horizontal: 2h =(vcosθ)t

The Attempt at a Solution

i know you set both equations equal to each other
(vsinθ)t -(0.5)(g)(t^2) = ((t)vcosθ)/2

cancel t
(vsinθ)-(0.5)(g)(t) = (vcosθ)/2

(2vsinθ-vcosθ)/2 = (0.5)(g)(t)
at this point i am slightly stuck, i know i need to sub some equivalent form in for "t" though i am not sure how/what formulas to use.

Likes Teklu
Physics news on Phys.org
click0420 said:

Homework Statement

find the angle of the projection for which the maximum height is equal to half of the range

Homework Equations

vertical: h =(vsinθ)t-0.5(g)(t^2)
horizontal: 2h =(vcosθ)t

The Attempt at a Solution

i know you set both equations equal to each other
(vsinθ)t -(0.5)(g)(t^2) = ((t)vcosθ)/2

cancel t
(vsinθ)-(0.5)(g)(t) = (vcosθ)/2

(2vsinθ-vcosθ)/2 = (0.5)(g)(t)
at this point i am slightly stuck, i know i need to sub some equivalent form in for "t" though i am not sure how/what formulas to use.

Go for concepts here.

At maximum height, the object is half way (horizontally) to its landing point - so at that point the height is 1/4 of the range.

The vertical part of the trip has been done while slowing down, so the average speed is 1/2 the initial speed.

It gets to a height 4 times its range so far, so the average vertical speed is 4x the horizontal speed.

Thus the initial vertical speed is 8x the horizontal speed.

Apply Pythagoras to that.

I was able to figure it out but thanks!

click0420 said:
I was able to figure it out but thanks!

Re-reading to see that you were only after the angle, you merely wanted tan-1(8)

Hello! I would approach this problem by first identifying the variables and their relationships in the equations provided. The variables in this problem are the angle of projection (θ), initial velocity (v), time (t), and acceleration due to gravity (g). The equations provided represent the vertical and horizontal components of projectile motion, which are related by the time of flight (t).

To find the angle of projection for which the maximum height is equal to half of the range, we can set the equations equal to each other and solve for θ. However, as you mentioned, we need to find an equivalent form for t in order to do this.

One way to approach this is to use the horizontal equation to solve for t in terms of θ. We can rearrange the equation to get t = (2h)/(vcosθ). Then, we can plug this into the vertical equation to get h = (v^2sin^2θ)/(2gcos^2θ).

Now, we can set this equal to half of the range (which we can express as (v^2sin2θ)/g) and solve for θ. This will give us the angle of projection for which the maximum height is equal to half of the range.

I hope this helps! Keep in mind that there may be other approaches to solving this problem, so don't get discouraged if you're not sure about the method you've chosen. As a scientist, it's important to be open to different ways of thinking and problem solving. Good luck!

Related to Projectile, max height half the range, find angle

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched or thrown through the air and is subject to the force of gravity. Examples include a ball being thrown, a bullet fired from a gun, or a rocket being launched.

2. How is the maximum height of a projectile determined?

The maximum height of a projectile is determined by the initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. It is the highest point reached by the projectile before it begins to descend back to the ground.

3. How is the range of a projectile related to its maximum height?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. The maximum height of a projectile will always be half of its range. This is because at the maximum height, the projectile has traveled half of its total distance and is now descending back to the ground.

4. How can I find the angle of a projectile if I know its maximum height and range?

In order to find the angle of a projectile, you will need to use trigonometric functions and the given values of the maximum height and range. The formula for finding the angle is: θ = arctan (4h/r), where θ is the angle, h is the maximum height, and r is the range.

5. Can the maximum height of a projectile be greater than its range?

No, the maximum height of a projectile cannot be greater than its range. This is because the maximum height occurs when the projectile has traveled half of its range and is now descending back to the ground. Therefore, the maximum height will always be equal to or less than half of the range.