Projectile Launching Question(multiple parts)

In summary, the problem involves a 2.0 kg object launched from a 100 m tall cliff with an initial velocity of 40 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees. There is a 40 m tall obstacle 200 m from the base of the cliff. The initial velocity in "i,j" notation is 34.64 m/s i + 20 m/s j = Vo. The object travels 20.41 m above the launch point. To prove that the object makes it over the barrier, the height of the object at x = 200 m needs to be calculated. The distance from the base of the cliff where the object lands and the velocity of the object as it hits the ground in "i,j
brayr0019
Heres the Problem...
A 2.0 kg object is launched from a 100 m tall cliff with an initial velocity of Vo=40m/s @ 30 degrees. There is a 40 m tall obstacle 200m from the base of the cliff.
a)write initial velocity in "i,j" notation
-I found this to be 34.64m/s i + 20m/s j = Vo
b) how far above the launch point does the ball travel?
- I also found this... h= 20.41m
c) prove that the object makes it over the barrier, i.e. what is the height of the object at x=200m?
d) how far from the base of the cliff does the object land?
e) what is the velocity of the object as it hits the ground(write velocity in "i,j" notation and as a magnitude and angle)

Any help at all for parts C,D, and/or E would be much appreciated! thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Forum rules require you to have a go and show your working so we can see where you are going wrong.

Heres my work. Clearly my numbers are wrong and I don't know where I went wrong so I can't even go about trying part E until i finish that.

Attachments

• IMG_7212.JPG
    IMG_7212.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_7213.JPG
    IMG_7213.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 329
Ok looking at your answer for C...

It looks like you have started by calculating the time (2.04 seconds) taken to reach the top of the trajectory. I'm not sure that's relevant to part C. The problem asks for the height at distance 200m. If you want to work out the time when the object reaches the barrier (200m) think about the horizontal velocity.

Related to Projectile Launching Question(multiple parts)

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. To calculate the initial velocity, you will need to know the final velocity, acceleration, and time.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. These factors will determine the shape and distance of the projectile's path.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can greatly affect the motion of a projectile. It acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, slowing it down and changing its trajectory. The higher the air resistance, the more it will affect the projectile's path.

4. What is the difference between range and maximum height in projectile motion?

Range refers to the distance a projectile travels horizontally, while maximum height refers to the highest point the projectile reaches in its path. These two values are affected by different factors, such as the initial velocity and angle of launch.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch can greatly affect the range of a projectile. A launch angle of 45 degrees will result in the maximum range, while any other angle will result in a shorter range. This is because a launch angle of 45 degrees provides the best balance between the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's motion.