Projectile is fired over level ground

In summary, a projectile with an initial velocity of 20 m/s vertically and 30 m/s horizontally was fired over level ground. Using the equation Vf(t) + 0.5at^2, the time it took to launch and land was calculated to be 4 seconds. Using the same equation with the horizontal component, the displacement was determined to be 120 meters. There were no apparent errors in the solution.
Le_Anthony

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired over level ground with an initial velocity that has a vertical component of 20 m/s and a horizontal component of 30 m/s. Using g = 10 m/s2, the distance from launching to landing points is:

Homework Equations

Vi(t) +0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation to solve for the time it took from start to finish. 0=20m/s(t)+0.5(-10m/s2)t^2 and that gave me 4 seconds to launch and land.

Next i used the same equation only now i used the x component so x=30m/s(4s) and the displacement was 120 meters.

Any errors you see?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing you made a typo in your relevant equations...

Joppy said:
I'm guessing you made a typo in your relevant equations...
What do you mean?

Le_Anthony said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired over level ground with an initial velocity that has a vertical component of 20 m/s and a horizontal component of 30 m/s. Using g = 10 m/s2, the distance from launching to landing points is:

Homework Equations

Vi(t) +0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation to solve for the time it took from start to finish. 0=20m/s(t)+0.5(-10m/s2)t^2 and that gave me 4 seconds to launch and land.

Next i used the same equation only now i used the x component so x=30m/s(4s) and the displacement was 120 meters.

Any errors you see?
Looks good to me !

I like the analysis.

Likes Le_Anthony
SammyS said:
Looks good to me !

I like the analysis.
Thanks!

Related to Projectile is fired over level ground

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, launched, or shot through the air. It follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How does a projectile move over level ground?

A projectile moves along a parabolic path over level ground. This means that its horizontal velocity remains constant while its vertical velocity changes due to the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile over level ground?

The trajectory of a projectile over level ground is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind may also play a role.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile over level ground?

The range of a projectile over level ground can be calculated using the equation R = (V02 sin 2θ)/g, where R is the range, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile over level ground?

The maximum height reached by a projectile over level ground can be calculated using the equation H = (V02 sin2θ)/2g, where H is the maximum height. This occurs when the projectile's velocity in the vertical direction is equal to zero.