Projectile; Golf example, Please help

In summary, the golfer hit the ball at a 54 degree angle with an initial horizontal velocity of 7.95 m/s. Using equations of projectile motion, the ball was found to have an initial vertical velocity of 11 m/s. To determine the height at which the ball passed over the tree, the equation of a projectile parabola was used, with points (0,0) and (17.8,0) lying on the parabola. The height at the tree's position (x=14) was then compared to the tree's height to find the answer.
zileas

Homework Statement

I know this is a basic question but this is my first physics course ever and I am having big time trouble, any help is appreciated!

Chipping from the rough, a golfer sends the ball over a 3.00 m high tree that is 14.0 m away. The ball lands at the same level from which it was struck after traveling a horizontal distance of 17.8 m - on the green of course! (A) If the ball left the club 54.0 degree angle above the horizontal and landed on the green 2.24 s later, what was its initial speed? (B) How high was the ball when it passed over the tree?

I have found tons of examples but they seem to ALL have the initial velocity as a given, and I think I have thoroughly confused myself with so many equations today.

Physics news on Phys.org
what have you tried so far? what are the equations you are using?

I have been trying to split it up into its horizontal and vertical motions, using some equations like Vf = (Vi)2a(delta)d and d = (Vi)t + 1/2at2 but to be honest I'm not too sure what I'm doing with them... just seems to be too many unknowns, and I'm not particularly strong in trig.

I have:

2.24 s = (delta)V / a

2.24 s = (delta)V / -9.80 m/s2

(2.24 s)(-9.80 m/s2) = (delta)V

(delta)V = -22 m/s

Vi = 11 m/s ; but I am not sure of anyyy of this :(

The horizontal aspect I think is fairly straightforward, using VH = d / t;

VH = 17.8 m / 2.24 s for 7.95 m/s ...

I am still lost on finding the initial vertical(y) velocity however..

zileas said:
The horizontal aspect I think is fairly straightforward, using VH = d / t;

VH = 17.8 m / 2.24 s for 7.95 m/s ...

I am still lost on finding the initial vertical(y) velocity however..

If you know that the Vx= 7.95 m/s:

Vx=Vo*cos(angle), you know the angle, so solve for Vo.

Then you can use Vy(horizontal)= Vo*sin(angle)-(9.8m/s^2)(time) to get the vertical velocity.

There is probably several ways to solve part "B". One way is the remember that projectiles are inverted parabolas (axis of symmetry parallel to the y-axis, opens down) of the form:

(x-h)^2= -4a(y-k) where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola. Use equations of projectile motion to determine the location maximum height. Pts (0,0) and (17.8,0) lie on the parabola so you can determine "a". Since you know the tree lies at x= 14 you can find the height of the parabola at that point and compare it to the tree height.

Related to Projectile; Golf example, Please help

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of a golf ball?

The trajectory of a golf ball can be calculated using the laws of projectile motion. This involves taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity and air resistance.

2. What factors affect the distance a golf ball travels?

The distance a golf ball travels is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the condition of the golf course (e.g. wind, slope, etc.). The type of club used and the spin applied to the ball can also impact its distance.

3. How does air resistance affect a golf ball's flight?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact a golf ball's flight. It causes the ball to slow down and lose height, resulting in a shorter distance. The dimples on a golf ball help reduce air resistance and allow for a longer flight.

4. Can you predict the landing spot of a golf ball using mathematics?

Yes, the laws of projectile motion can be used to predict the landing spot of a golf ball. However, factors such as wind, slope, and surface conditions can make it challenging to accurately predict the exact landing spot.

5. How does the angle of launch affect a golf ball's trajectory?

The angle of launch plays a crucial role in determining a golf ball's trajectory. A higher launch angle results in a higher ball flight and longer distance, while a lower launch angle can result in a shorter, more accurate shot. It is important to find the optimal launch angle for each shot to achieve the desired result.