Projectile Fired Against A Slope

In summary: I'm not sure I really understand the way you were doing it before. But this way seems simpler to me, using basic trigonometry and kinematics equations.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched at an angle 45 degrees above the horizon with a velocity of 30 m/s. It is launched at the base of a constant slope, which has an angle of 30 degrees.
a- How much time did it take for the projectile to hit the slope?
b- Where did the projectile hit the slope? Use a vector.
c- Was the projectile moving up or down when it hit?

Homework Equations

t = 2 V sin angle /g

x= V^2 sin 2angle / g

The Attempt at a Solution

a- (2(30 m/s) sin 15)/ 9.8 m/s^2
t = 1.58 s

b- (30 m/s (cos 15) ) i + (30 m/s (sin 15)) j

I am not sure I should be using 15 as the angle for part b. I tried with 30 and 45, and 30 seems like the right coordinates considering the picture I drew.

Physics news on Phys.org
veronicak5678 said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched at an angle 45 degrees above the horizon with a velocity of 30 m/s. It is launched at the base of a constant slope, which has an angle of 30 degrees.
a- How much time did it take for the projectile to hit the slope?
b- Where did the projectile hit the slope? Use a vector.
c- Was the projectile moving up or down when it hit?

Homework Equations

t = 2 V sin angle /g

x= V^2 sin 2angle / g

The Attempt at a Solution

a- (2(30 m/s) sin 15)/ 9.8 m/s^2
t = 1.58 s

b- (30 m/s (cos 15) ) i + (30 m/s (sin 15)) j

I am not sure I should be using 15 as the angle for part b. I tried with 30 and 45, and 30 seems like the right coordinates considering the picture I drew.

You shouldn't use the angle 15 at all.

You should resolve your Velocity into x,y.

Then write your y height equation.

You know the height of the slope from its angle and the x distance traveled. So for each m in the x direction gives you a half meter rise in slope (sin30), you can translate x-velocity into y height by:

y = Vx*t*sin30 = V*cos45*sin30*t

But y also = vy*t - 1/2*a*t2 = V*sin45*t - 1/2*a*t2

With sin30 = 1/2 and sin45 = cos45 = 1/(2)1/2, solving is pretty straight forward.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand what you mean. Are you creating these equations to solve for t? Doing that, I get t = 2.17 s. Does that mean the time I found using the range equation is wrong? I also don't understand how to put the directions in vectors.

veronicak5678 said:
I'm sorry, I really don't understand what you mean. Are you creating these equations to solve for t? Doing that, I get t = 2.17 s. Does that mean the time I found using the range equation is wrong? I also don't understand how to put the directions in vectors.

That's what I get for time (actually 2.1642, but close enough).

Part b is asking for the distance up the slope. It is a displacement vector pointing up the slope. Knowing the x distance component at t=2.17 then the magnitude can be figured as to how it translates up the slope.

Part c is asking whether it hit before max height or after. Calculate time to max height. Is 2.17 greater or less?

But how do I know the x-distance component? Why was it wrong to use the formula I had before?

veronicak5678 said:
But how do I know the x-distance component? Why was it wrong to use the formula I had before?

The x distance is V*cos45*t isn't it? That is how far along the x-axis it gets at impact. But it hit on the slope at a height Y determined by using Cos30 degrees = x distance, what is the distance up the hypotenuse. That's your distance up the slope.

I'm sorry but I didn't really look at your first formulas after I saw functions of 15 degrees, since I thought this was the easier way to write and solve the problem.

OK. I'm sorry this is taking me so long to understand. I see why the x-component is cos 45, but I still don't know how to determine the y height from cos 30. If I am doing this correctly, I get 21.21 m for the x displacement. The using a triangle, I find 12.24 for y. Is that what you meant?

veronicak5678 said:
OK. I'm sorry this is taking me so long to understand. I see why the x-component is cos 45, but I still don't know how to determine the y height from cos 30. If I am doing this correctly, I get 21.21 m for the x displacement. The using a triangle, I find 12.24 for y. Is that what you meant?

And then the distance along the hypotenuse is the vector. Which is twice 12.24 right?

But those would be the x,y components of the vector.

The cos 30 comes from the angle of the slope. The adjacent side is the Cos 30 = the x distance traveled.

Last edited:
OK, I think I understand it now. Thanks so much for your time!

veronicak5678 said:

Wait a minute. 21.21 is only the x-distance of the velocity in 1 sec. This needs to be multiplied by the time to determine x distance at impact. And then the hypotenuse by dividing by Cos30. Sorry I missed that.

That's OK. That answer (45.8 m for x ) is what I got using the range equation as I was in the beginning. Is there really any reason I couldn't have done it that way?

veronicak5678 said:
That's OK. That answer (45.8 m for x ) is what I got using the range equation as I was in the beginning. Is there really any reason I couldn't have done it that way?

I don't know that formula. Did you derive that or was it in the book? (I'm not feeling up to deriving it right now myself.)

I just went with what I saw and that method should get you to the right result.

Sorry if I misled you in any way.

Don't worry about it. I found that formula in the book in the section on "range equations" I figured I could just act as if the projectile were being fired at a 15 degree angle and ignore the rest.

Related to Projectile Fired Against A Slope

1. How does the angle of the slope affect the trajectory of a projectile fired against it?

The angle of the slope can significantly alter the trajectory of a projectile. A steeper slope will result in a shorter distance traveled by the projectile, while a shallower slope will result in a longer distance traveled. This is because the slope acts as a barrier, causing the projectile to either rise or fall depending on the angle of the slope.

2. What is the relationship between the speed of the projectile and the angle of the slope?

The speed of the projectile will also affect its trajectory when fired against a slope. A projectile fired at a higher speed will travel further along the slope before being affected by gravity, resulting in a longer distance traveled. Similarly, a projectile fired at a lower speed will have a shorter distance traveled along the slope.

3. How does the mass of the projectile impact its trajectory when fired against a slope?

The mass of the projectile does not directly affect its trajectory when fired against a slope. However, a heavier projectile will have a higher momentum and may be less affected by the slope, resulting in a longer distance traveled. On the other hand, a lighter projectile may be more easily redirected by the slope, resulting in a shorter distance traveled.

4. What role does friction play in the trajectory of a projectile fired against a slope?

Friction plays a crucial role in the trajectory of a projectile fired against a slope. The amount of friction between the projectile and the slope will determine how much of its initial velocity the projectile will retain before coming to a stop. A higher friction coefficient will result in a shorter distance traveled, while a lower friction coefficient will result in a longer distance traveled.

5. Can a projectile fired against a slope reach the same height as its initial position?

Yes, it is possible for a projectile fired against a slope to reach the same height as its initial position. This can occur when the angle of the slope and the initial velocity of the projectile are carefully calculated. The projectile will travel up the slope, reach its maximum height, and then fall back down to its initial position. However, this requires precise calculations and is not always achievable in real-world scenarios.