Projectile being launched off a table at an angle?

In summary, during a recent experiment, a ball was launched off a table at an initial velocity of 1.80 m/s and an angle of 10 degrees. The distance traveled in the x-axis was measured to be 0.743 m, and using this information, a predicted value for the distance in the y-axis (initial height) was calculated to be 0.992 m. However, there was uncertainty about the value of vi for the y-axis, as the ball was launched at an angle. The experiment also had an experimental value of 1.12 m for the height, and using the absolute % error formula, there was a 11.4% error between the predicted and experimental values.
megmar95

Homework Statement

We did an experiment where we launched a ball off a table at an initial velocity of 1.80 m/s, at an angle of 10 degrees. We measured the distance in the x-axis the ball traveled 0.743 m. Using this information, we are supposed to calculate a predicted value for the distance in the y-axis (initial height). Since we did the experiment, we have an experimental value of 1.12 m for the height, but my teacher wants us to calculate a predicted value for initial height and compare using absolute % error ((predicted - experimental) / experimental).

Homework Equations

vix = (vi)cos(10)
vfy=(vi)sin(10)
ax = 0
ay= -9.81
t = ?
dx= 0.743 m
dy = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated vix to be 1.773 m/s and viy to be 0.3125667 m/s. I'm unsure how to calculate time, and also am unsure if there is a vi for y-axis (my teacher said I did the question wrong because I used dy= vit + 1/2at^2 and canceled out vit because I believed vi was 0 but the ball is being launched so there is a vi for y).

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you used wrongly is OK, just use it correctly. Since ##v_{iy}## is not zero, as you said, do not set it to zero.

hi megmar95! welcome to pf! :smile:
megmar95 said:
Using this information, we are supposed to calculate a predicted value for the distance in the y-axis (initial height).

the initial height is zero

do you mean maximum height? :confused:

(and is the table flat? and is the ball landing on the table again, or on the floor?)
… am unsure if there is a vi for y-axis (my teacher said I did the question wrong because I used dy= vit + 1/2at^2 and canceled out vit because I believed vi was 0 but the ball is being launched so there is a vi for y).

yes, vi is at an angle, so viy = visin10°

Ya I meant the distance traveled by the ball in the y-axis altogether (range)
The ball was launched off the end of a ramp angled at 10 degrees placed on top of a flat table at the very edge of it, and landed on the floor.
I tried using the (vi)sin(10) and plugged it into the equation d=vit+1/2at^2, so d= (0.3125)(0.419) + 1/2(9.81)(0.419)^2 and I got an answer of 0.992 m for predicted height. Afterwards I used the % error equation, and got a percent error of 11.4%, does that sound correct?

I would advise you to first clarify with your teacher what they mean by "predicted value for initial height." Are they asking for the initial height at which the projectile was launched, or are they asking for the predicted height at a certain time after launch?

To calculate the initial height, you can use the equation dy = viy*t + 1/2*ay*t^2, where viy is the initial velocity in the y-direction (0.3125667 m/s in your case) and ay is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.81 m/s^2). You can solve for t using the information you have, such as the distance traveled in the x-direction and the initial velocity in the x-direction.

If your teacher is asking for the predicted height at a certain time after launch, you can use the equation y = viy*t + 1/2*ay*t^2, where y is the height at a certain time t and viy and ay are the same as before. You can plug in the time t and solve for y.

In terms of the initial velocity in the y-direction (viy), it is not necessarily 0. It depends on the angle at which the projectile was launched. In this case, you correctly calculated it to be 0.3125667 m/s. If your teacher is saying that you did the question wrong because you assumed viy to be 0, then you should clarify with them what they mean and ask for guidance on how to approach the question.

In terms of calculating time, you can use the equation dx = vix*t, where dx is the distance traveled in the x-direction and vix is the initial velocity in the x-direction (1.773 m/s in your case). Again, you can solve for t using the information you have.

I would also suggest double-checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. And when comparing your predicted and experimental values, make sure to use the absolute value of the difference in order to get a positive percentage error.

Overall, I would recommend discussing any confusion or questions with your teacher and seeking their guidance in completing the question accurately.

Related to Projectile being launched off a table at an angle?

1. What is the initial velocity of the projectile launched off a table at an angle?

The initial velocity of the projectile can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The initial velocity will depend on the angle at which the projectile is launched and the initial speed at which it is launched.

2. How does the angle at which the projectile is launched affect its trajectory?

The angle at which the projectile is launched will determine the shape of its trajectory. If the projectile is launched at a lower angle, it will have a longer horizontal distance but a shorter vertical distance. If the projectile is launched at a higher angle, it will have a shorter horizontal distance but a longer vertical distance.

3. How do you calculate the range of the projectile launched off a table at an angle?

The range of the projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (u^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the initial height of the projectile is equal to the final height.

4. What is the maximum height of the projectile launched off a table at an angle?

The maximum height of the projectile can be calculated using the equation h = (u^2 * sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the initial height of the projectile is equal to the final height.

5. How does the mass of the projectile affect its trajectory when launched off a table at an angle?

The mass of the projectile does not affect its trajectory when launched off a table at an angle. The trajectory is determined by the initial velocity and angle of launch, not the mass. However, a heavier projectile will have a larger force of gravity acting on it, which may affect its speed and distance traveled.