Projectile being launched from ground level

In summary, a projectile is fired from ground level with an initial velocity of 50 m/s and an initial angle of 37°. Assuming g = 9.8 m/s^2, the projectile's total time of flight is approximately 6.14 seconds, the maximum height attained is approximately 46.20 meters, the total horizontal distance traveled is approximately 245.22 meters, and the final horizontal and vertical velocities just before it hits the ground are approximately +39.93 m/s and -50 m/s, respectively.
AryRezvani

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired from ground level with an initial velocity of 50 m/s and an initial angle of 37°. Assuming g = 9.8 m/s^2, find:

a) the projectiles total time of flight.
b) the maximum height attained
c) the total horizontal distance traveled
d) the final horizontal and vertical velocities just before it hit the ground.

Homework Equations

okay, so beginning with a), I believe the necessary equation is h=vi2Sin2θi/2g

The Attempt at a Solution

Plug in a) into my calculator, and I get uhh 4436.721196. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct method.

Physics news on Phys.org
AryRezvani said:
okay, so beginning with a), I believe the necessary equation is h=vi2Sin2θi/2g

You need to find the total time of flight in a), the equation you posted is for the max. height attained by the projectile.

Pranav-Arora said:
You need to find the total time of flight in a), the equation you posted is for the max. height attained by the projectile.

would you utilize Vf=Vi+at?

So Vf = 0 (at the top of the trajectory Vf would be zero.
g = -9.8
Vi = 50

Plus in so you get -9.8t = -50
t = 5.102?

AryRezvani said:
would you utilize Vf=Vi+at?

So Vf = 0 (at the top of the trajectory Vf would be zero.
g = -9.8
Vi = 50

Plus in so you get -9.8t = -50
t = 5.102?

For the vertical motion, what's the initial velocity? You need to take the component of initial velocity in the vertical direction for Vi.

Pranav-Arora said:
For the vertical motion, what's the initial velocity? You need to take the component of initial velocity in the vertical direction for Vi.

Hmm I got 50*Sin(37) which gave me 30.09075116.

AryRezvani said:
Hmm I got 50*Sin(37) which gave me 30.09075116.

You shouldn't get such a big answer. The component you took is correct. Check your calculations. Maybe, it will help if you show us your steps. Make sure you double the time you get when you plug the values in the equation Vf=Vi+at because you need to find the total time of flight. The projectile reaches the max. height and comes back again.

Okay, well in my textbook, it says the following formula is utilized to find Vyi:

Vyi=ViSin(θi)

I plugged in the numerical values into my calculator and got Vyi = 30.09075116.

Now, I plugged that answer into Vyf = Vyi + ayt

Vyf should equal zero because at the top of the trajectory the y component is zero.

I solved and got t = 3.09075116 seconds.

Edit; multiply the answer by 2 and you get 6.14096... Look good?

AryRezvani said:
Okay, well in my textbook, it says the following formula is utilized to find Vyi:

Vyi=ViSin(θi)

I plugged in the numerical values into my calculator and got Vyi = 30.09075116.
Oops, sorry, i thought you meant time of flight when you wrote 30.09075116. :redface:

Now, I plugged that answer into Vyf = Vyi + ayt

Vyf should equal zero because at the top of the trajectory the y component is zero.

I solved and got t = 3.09075116 seconds.
Just double the time you calculated, for the reason i mentioned in my previous post. :wink:

EDIT: Just saw your edit, looks good.

Pranav-Arora said:
Oops, sorry, i thought you meant time of flight when you wrote 30.09075116. :redface:

Just double the time you calculated, for the reason i mentioned in my previous post. :wink:

EDIT: Just saw your edit, looks good.

If you could, could you just quickly check my work for the rest of them?

In regards to b), I used the equation I mentioned initially (Vi2Sin2θi/2g

Plugged in (50^2)*Sin(37)*Sin(37)/2*9.8 and got 4436.721196.

Look a little off?

AryRezvani said:

If you could, could you just quickly check my work for the rest of them?

In regards to b), I used the equation I mentioned initially (Vi2Sin2θi/2g

Plugged in (50^2)*Sin(37)*Sin(37)/2*9.8 and got 4436.721196.

Look a little off?

Its too much off. :biggrin:
Check your calculations again. Or show the steps.

Pranav-Arora said:
Its too much off. :biggrin:
Check your calculations again. Or show the steps.

Ah, yeah, incorrect calculations lol. I fixed it and got something around 46.196..

Okay, so part c) I found the Vxi to be 39.931775 or does this have something to do with range (R)?

AryRezvani said:
Okay, so part c) I found the Vxi to be 39.931775 or does this have something to do with range (R)?

Yes, you need to find the range.

c) Vxi = 39.9317755

Formula for R being: Vxi2ta

Ta being the halfway point of the trajectory so all in all this comes out to be the time we calculated earlier.

R = (39.9317755)(3.07048412)2

R = 245.2198204 meters

Look good?

AryRezvani said:
c) Vxi = 39.9317755

Formula for R being: Vxi2ta

Ta being the halfway point of the trajectory so all in all this comes out to be the time we calculated earlier.

R = (39.9317755)(3.07048412)2

R = 245.2198204 meters

Look good?

Looks correct to me.

Pranav-Arora said:
Looks correct to me.

Okay, lastly, d).

Hmm okay, well horizontal velocity is constant so I don't think there is a way of doing the horizontal one.

Wouldn't these just be their respective initial velocities? Or maybe you'd plug them into an equation that has a Vf and solve.

Vf = Vi + at

Time being how long the ball is in the air.

AryRezvani said:
Okay, lastly, d).

Hmm okay, well horizontal velocity is constant so I don't think there is a way of doing the horizontal one.

Wouldn't these just be their respective initial velocities? Or maybe you'd plug them into an equation that has a Vf and solve.

Vf = Vi + at

Time being how long the ball is in the air.

Horizontal velocity will be the same, vertical velocity will be opposite in direction to that of initial. It asks about velocity, not speed.

Pranav-Arora said:
Horizontal velocity will be the same, vertical velocity will be opposite in direction to that of initial. It asks about velocity, not speed.

Understood, so the object fired has an initial velocity of +50 m/s; however, as it comes down, the velocity is the same, but simply decreasing?

So the velocity just as the object hits the ground is -50 m/s?

Edit: Leaving for class right now. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I really appreciate the help. :)

AryRezvani said:
Understood, so the object fired has an initial velocity of +50 m/s; however, as it comes down, the velocity is the same, but simply decreasing?

So the velocity just as the object hits the ground is -50 m/s?
No, i did not mean that. The question asks about the vertical and horizontal final velocities. The direction of final vertical velocity would be the opposite to that of the initial vertical velocity. You cannot say that its -50 m/s.

Pranav-Arora said:
No, i did not mean that. The question asks about the vertical and horizontal final velocities. The direction of final vertical velocity would be the opposite to that of the initial vertical velocity. You cannot say that its -50 m/s.

So what would it be? Would it be 50 m/s simply on the opposite direction? In other words, 50 m/s with a downward direction?

Related to Projectile being launched from ground level

1. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile launched from ground level?

The trajectory of a projectile launched from ground level is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, gravity, and any external forces acting on the projectile.

2. How does the initial velocity of a projectile affect its trajectory?

The initial velocity of a projectile determines the speed and direction at which it is launched. The greater the initial velocity, the farther the projectile will travel and the higher it will reach before falling back to the ground.

3. What is the optimal angle of launch for a projectile to achieve maximum distance?

The optimal angle of launch for a projectile to achieve maximum distance is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the most efficient use of the initial velocity and gravity to propel the projectile forward.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the velocity of a projectile and causes it to fall to the ground at a faster rate. This can significantly affect the trajectory of a projectile, causing it to travel a shorter distance and reach a lower height.

5. Can external forces affect the trajectory of a projectile launched from ground level?

Yes, external forces such as wind or air currents can affect the trajectory of a projectile. These forces can alter the direction and speed of the projectile, causing it to deviate from its intended path.