Projectile and Resistance Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a projectile launched at an angle with a resistance force acting on it. The problem asks for the horizontal and vertical positions of the projectile over time, the range of the projectile, and the elevation angle that gives the maximum angle. The attempt at a solution involves setting up a free body diagram and using ƩF=ma, but there is confusion and help is needed. The expert suggests dropping the "v" from the resistance force equation and using a numerical method for integration to solve the problem.
hardygirl989

Homework Statement

Consider a 10 kg projectile launched with an initial speed of 100 m/s at an angle of 35 degrees elevation. The Resistance force is R=-bv where b=10 kg/s. A) Use a numerical method to determine the horizontal and vertical positions of the projectile as a function of time. B) What is the range of the projectile? C) Determine the elevation angle that gives the maximum anle. (Hint: Adjust the elevation angle by the trial and error to find the greatest range).

Homework Equations

ƩF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to come up with an equation for part a, but I am getting confused. Could anyone help?

I tried:
I made a free body diagram with up being positive y direction and right being positive x direction.
I set ƩFx= -(Vx)bv=mAx
ƩFy= - mg - (Vy)bv=mAy
I am not sure if this is right or where to go from here. Can someone help please and thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
hardygirl989 said:

Homework Statement

Consider a 10 kg projectile launched with an initial speed of 100 m/s at an angle of 35 degrees elevation. The Resistance force is R=-bv where b=10 kg/s. A) Use a numerical method to determine the horizontal and vertical positions of the projectile as a function of time. B) What is the range of the projectile? C) Determine the elevation angle that gives the maximum anle. (Hint: Adjust the elevation angle by the trial and error to find the greatest range).

Homework Equations

ƩF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to come up with an equation for part a, but I am getting confused. Could anyone help?

I tried:
I made a free body diagram with up being positive y direction and right being positive x direction.
I set ƩFx= -(Vx)bv=mAx
ƩFy= - mg - (Vy)bv=mAy
I am not sure if this is right or where to go from here. Can someone help please and thank you.

Your resistance forces are ending up being multiplied by velocity twice. Probably not what you want :smile: I suggest you drop the "v" from bv in those terms.

Note that they're asking you to use a numerical method. That implies some form of iterative process where the trajectory is computed in incremental steps with some discrete timestep Δt. This is called "integration" of the trajectory (related to what we usually think of as integration in Calculus).

What types of trajectory integration methods have you come across?

Related to Projectile and Resistance Force

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves along a curved path due to gravity. Common examples include a baseball being thrown or a bullet being fired from a gun.

2. What is resistance force?

Resistance force is the force that opposes the motion of an object. It can be caused by factors such as air resistance, friction, or fluid resistance.

3. How does air resistance affect a projectile?

Air resistance can greatly affect a projectile's trajectory by slowing it down and causing it to fall to the ground sooner. The greater the surface area of the projectile, the greater the air resistance will be.

4. How is the angle of launch related to the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch is directly related to the range of a projectile. The optimal angle of launch for maximum range is 45 degrees, as it allows for the most efficient use of both horizontal and vertical components of velocity.

5. Can the mass of a projectile affect its resistance force?

Yes, the mass of a projectile can affect its resistance force. Objects with greater mass will experience more resistance force due to their larger surface area and increased contact with air molecules.