Progressive Cavity Pump backspin

In summary, the equation for calculating backspin speed in Hz is determined by subtracting the torque of tension and adding the torque from friction from the torque of the backspin hydro brake, then dividing by twice the mass of the rod multiplied by a constant of 6.28.
btb4198
I need an equation to give me the backspin speed in HZ and the torque applied to motor from back spin from a given oil well.
The VFD given me the rod torque during forward run. J = 706 lbs-ft. J = F * D
D= 7300 ft = Length of the rod
J = Jm - Jf -Jb +Jten
so I am not sure how to do this ...
can someone help ?
Jten = torque of tension
Jm = torque of the force from the oil
Jb = torque from the backspin hydro brake in the drive head
Jf = torque from the friction on the pcp case
F=MA
M = F/A
M = F/(32.174 ft/s^2)
F = Jf/D
Jm = J + Jb -Jten + Jf
Jb is given in the wellhead doc

but I still need to find t (time)
So, I can get speed of the backspin
I am not too sure
does anyone know ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you are looking for is:Backspin speed (in Hz) = (Jb - Jten + Jf) / (2πM),where Jb is the torque from the backspin hydro brake in the drive head, Jten is the torque of tension, Jf is the torque from the friction on the pcp case, M is the mass of the rod and 2π is a constant equal to 6.28.

Related to Progressive Cavity Pump backspin

1. What is a progressive cavity pump backspin?

A progressive cavity pump backspin is a type of pump that uses a rotating helical screw to move fluid through a series of cavities in a stator. This results in a smooth and consistent flow of fluid, making it ideal for pumping viscous materials.

2. How does a progressive cavity pump backspin work?

A progressive cavity pump backspin works by using the rotation of the helical screw to create a vacuum, which draws fluid into the cavities of the stator. As the screw continues to rotate, the fluid is pushed through the cavities and out of the pump.

3. What are the advantages of using a progressive cavity pump backspin?

Some advantages of using a progressive cavity pump backspin include its ability to handle highly viscous fluids, its self-priming capabilities, and its gentle handling of delicate materials. It also has a relatively simple design and is easy to maintain.

4. What are the limitations of a progressive cavity pump backspin?

One limitation of a progressive cavity pump backspin is its relatively low flow rate compared to other types of pumps. It also requires frequent maintenance, as the stator and screw can wear down over time due to the abrasive nature of some fluids. It is also not suitable for pumping large particles or solids.

5. What industries commonly use progressive cavity pump backspins?

Progressive cavity pump backspins are commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and wastewater treatment. They are also used in applications that require precise and consistent flow rates, such as chemical dosing and metering.