Progress on M Theory: What We Know So Far

In summary, the referenc seems to be a nice overview of the potential for M-theory, but the two people who wrote it are not experts in string theory and it is not clear if the theory holds away from a spacelike singularity.
PAllen
Science Advisor
I am interested in what progress has been made understanding what M Theory is, what it's nature might be beyond dualities between partial theories, and any ideas about what types of phenomenon it might predict, beyond the partial theories.

I would rather any discussions of plausibitlity of M theory, judgements compared to other theories, etc. *not* be part of this thread. I'm hoping for a neutral thread on progress specifically on M-theory as unified theory of particles and forces including gravity, as distinct from general success of 'stringy approaches' or progress on any of the 5 component string theoroies+supergravity (unless one of these is giving a clue as to the nature of M Theory).

Physics news on Phys.org
tom.stoer just had a long thread on this. It seemed as if it was all very technical small steps and nothing available for the layman. The only thing I came across was http://www.blau.itp.unibe.ch/stqg.pdf , where at the end they say " In particular a non-perturbative formulation of the theory and uncovering its symmetries are important open issues. Matrix models and AdS/CFT correspondence mark recent success on the former issue, while hyperbolic Kac–Moody algebras might be the right language for the latter." But that's probably just their personal view at least for the latter, since I don't see many people working on it.

Two warnings: we have to distinguish between M-theory in the sense of M2/M5 branes (which is one specific theory) and M-theory as the mother-theory (which seems to be still unknown); the referenc you give seems pretty nice, but afaik the two guys are not really string experts.

tom.stoer said:
Two warnings: we have to distinguish between M-theory in the sense of M2/M5 branes (which is one specific theory) and M-theory as the mother-theory (which seems to be still unknown); the referenc you give seems pretty nice, but afaik the two guys are not really string experts.

Also, what I don't understasnd about the Kac-Moody stuff is: is there any evidence this holds away from a spacelike singularity?

Related to Progress on M Theory: What We Know So Far

What is M Theory and why is it important?

M Theory is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the laws of physics and explain the fundamental nature of the universe. It is important because it has the potential to provide a comprehensive understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technological advancements.

What is the current progress on M Theory?

M Theory is still a work in progress and there is no definitive answer on its validity. However, there have been significant developments in the past few decades, such as the discovery of dualities between different string theories and the emergence of new mathematical frameworks.

What evidence supports M Theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for M Theory. However, it has been successful in resolving some long-standing problems in physics, such as the unification of gravity with other forces and the existence of extra dimensions.

What are the challenges in furthering our understanding of M Theory?

One of the main challenges in furthering our understanding of M Theory is the lack of experimental evidence. It is also a highly complex and abstract concept, making it difficult to test and verify. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and debates within the scientific community about the validity and implications of M Theory.

What are the potential applications of M Theory?

If M Theory is proven to be valid, it could have a profound impact on our understanding of the universe and lead to new technologies, such as advanced space travel and energy sources. It could also have implications for other fields, such as philosophy and cosmology.