Programming the TI-83+ SE for Projectile Motion

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with programming a formula for the path of a projectile on their TI-83+ SE calculator. They are looking for tips on how to graph the parabola and find undefined variables. Another speaker suggests consulting the manual and talking to classmates for assistance. They also mention that they personally use a different calculator, the HP-48 series.
Drayakir
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this:

I have a TI-83+ SE. I have gotten the formula for the path of a projectile without air-resistance. It is:

y= ((Voy)/(Vox))X)-(g/(2(Vox^2)X^2)))

Now, I have a question. How do I program it to make it graph the parabola that I am supposed to get, and how can I get it to find me undefined variables (I have a basic grasp of programming, though this is beyond my league).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Or maybe a link to a website that has these?

Honey, I think your problem is that most of us who use graphing calculators don't use TI. I use the HP-48 series, personally.

It's probably not much help, but I'd suggest that you (a) consult the manual and (b) talk to your classmates. Generally speaking, the best way to learn to program something is to try things out. You fail a lot, but even your failures teach you something, and you'll remember it longer and better.

Related to Programming the TI-83+ SE for Projectile Motion

1. How do I input the initial velocity and angle for a projectile on the TI-83+ SE?

To input the initial velocity and angle for a projectile, you will need to use the Input function. For example, if you want to input the initial velocity as 50 meters per second and the angle as 30 degrees, you would use the command Input "Initial Velocity (m/s): ",V and Input "Angle (degrees): ",A. This will prompt the user to enter the values and store them in the variables V and A.

2. How do I calculate the horizontal and vertical components of a projectile's motion on the TI-83+ SE?

To calculate the horizontal and vertical components of a projectile's motion, you will need to use the trigonometric functions cos and sin. For example, if the initial velocity is stored in the variable V and the angle is stored in the variable A, the horizontal component can be calculated as V * cos(A) and the vertical component can be calculated as V * sin(A). These values can then be used in further calculations for projectile motion.

3. How do I calculate the range and maximum height of a projectile on the TI-83+ SE?

To calculate the range and maximum height of a projectile, you will need to use the kinematic equations for projectile motion. The range can be calculated as (V^2 * sin(2A)) / g, where V is the initial velocity, A is the angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The maximum height can be calculated as (V^2 * sin(A)^2) / (2 * g). Make sure to use parentheses to ensure the correct order of operations.

4. How do I graph the path of a projectile on the TI-83+ SE?

To graph the path of a projectile, you will need to use the Parametric mode on the TI-83+ SE. This mode allows you to graph functions with both x and y as variables. You will need to enter the equations for the x and y components of the projectile's motion, using the variables and calculations from the previous steps. Once you have entered both equations, you can graph them to see the path of the projectile.

5. How can I use the TI-83+ SE to solve problems involving projectile motion?

The TI-83+ SE can be a useful tool for solving problems involving projectile motion. By inputting the necessary variables and using the appropriate equations, you can quickly calculate and graph the path of a projectile. It is important to have a solid understanding of the kinematic equations for projectile motion and how to use the TI-83+ SE to input and manipulate variables and equations. Practicing with sample problems can also help improve your skills in using the calculator for projectile motion calculations.