Programming language to use to make plots from a database?

In summary, the person is a graduate student with no programming experience who wants to learn by creating a web application that can plot data from a database and conduct model calculations. They are seeking advice on the best programming language for this project and have received recommendations for Python from websites such as Code Academy and Udacity. They are also considering using API's from companies like Wolfram or Microsoft. They are enthusiastic about their project and are open to learning the necessary skills as they go.
Zerhyn
I am a graduate student who has basically no experience programming but I would like to learn so I decided to give myself a project. What I would like to do is build a web application that can plot data (2D & 3D) from a database. Once I get that far I would like to have the web application conduct model calculations. I would like users will be able to select the data they are interested in and then proceed to run a model.

What programming language would be best to proceed in this direction?

Thank you!

Technology news on Phys.org
OK. So what I have gathered so far is that I should develop the UI via HTML 5 (I would like this web app to be universal on almost nearly all platforms). Then outsource the data processes using API's to the likes of Wolfram or Microsoft's Azure.

I feel like I'm advocating this website a lot lately, but I'm very enthusiastic about it and I can't help but recommend it to anyone wanting to learn programming.

www.udacity.com

If you take CS101 you'll learn how to program in Python in (nominally) 7 weeks, although the course is not running per se, you'd take it in your own time (which could be a week). I'm currently taking CS253 which is web application programming in Python using the Google App Engine framework and a backend SQL database.

They won't teach you graphics, but you should probably learn the basics first.

Take a peek, I think it would be a very good path to consider - Python will do everything you need, it's pretty easy to pick up, it's interpreted (no compiling - interactive and rapid development) it has great math libraries, it's cross platform.

Having said that, you could accomplish what you want with almost any language / platform you choose.

Thank you for the replies! I have been playing around with Code Academy [codeacademy.com] for a few weeks and I'll look into udacity as well. I guess what I was wondering where programming for the web is headed and what were the types of things I should keep in mind. But it appears I just need to start doing and I'll find my way there eventually.

I would recommend using a language that is commonly used for data analysis and visualization, such as Python, R, or MATLAB. These languages have a wide range of tools and libraries specifically designed for working with databases and creating plots. They also have a large community of users who can provide support and resources as you learn to program. Additionally, these languages have the capability to conduct model calculations, making them suitable for your project goals. Ultimately, the best language for your project will depend on your personal preferences and the specific features and tools you need, so I would suggest doing some research and trying out a few different options to see which one works best for you. Good luck with your project!

Related to Programming language to use to make plots from a database?

1. What is the best programming language for making plots from a database?

There is no one "best" programming language for making plots from a database, as it largely depends on personal preference and the specific requirements of the project. Some commonly used languages for this purpose include Python, R, and SQL.

2. Can I use any programming language to make plots from a database?

Yes, as long as the language has the necessary libraries or packages to connect to a database and create plots. Some languages may be more suitable than others for this task, but it is possible to use a wide range of languages.

3. How do I connect a programming language to a database for plotting?

The specific steps for connecting a programming language to a database will vary depending on the language and database being used. Generally, you will need to install any necessary libraries or packages, provide login credentials for the database, and write code to query and visualize the data.

4. Are there any programming languages specifically designed for making plots from a database?

There are some languages, such as R, that have a strong focus on data analysis and visualization, making them popular choices for working with databases. However, any language with appropriate libraries and packages can be used for this purpose.

5. Do I need to have a strong programming background to make plots from a database?

Some level of programming knowledge is necessary to connect to a database and create plots. However, there are many resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started with data visualization in various languages.