Programming language and artificial intelligence

In summary, programming languages are used when creating artificial intelligence. Some languages are more suited for large scale programming while others are better for small scale programming.
Tungamirai
What programming language is used when creating artificial intelligence.

Technology news on Phys.org
I think you can use any language but there is a special language dedicated to program robots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages_for_artificial_intelligence"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. Can we use our basic programming languages like C and C++ for Artificial Intelligence?

From the hyperlink of FunGus: "AI applications are also often written in standard languages like C++ and languages designed for mathematics, such as MATLAB and Lush."

So yes, in my experience you do not want to code your AI application in Lisp or Prolog - the preferred language is IMHO C++.
It takes a little effort to set up the framework, but after that Lisp and Prolog can not compete. They are only nice to learn the concepts of AI thinking.

I like Serena said:
From the hyperlink of FunGus: "AI applications are also often written in standard languages like C++ and languages designed for mathematics, such as MATLAB and Lush."

So yes, in my experience you do not want to code your AI application in Lisp or Prolog - the preferred language is IMHO C++.
It takes a little effort to set up the framework, but after that Lisp and Prolog can not compete. They are only nice to learn the concepts of AI thinking.

"Languages designed for mathematics" include all of those that fall under the category of "functional programming" languages. In other words, LISP, Haskell, Mathematica and the likes.

I specialize in AI and would recommend using a pure functional language such as Haskell to program AI systems, although C++ works just as well.

I like Serena said:

It's not an "either/or" choice. There is no reason why you can't use a dialect of Lisp for the large-scale structure of the code and data (with the huge advantage over a procedural language like C++ that there is no real distinction between "code" and "data"), but use C++ or assembler for "small scale" efficiency where that is important

But in any large software application, "efficiency" is usually of no great importance for 99.9% of the lines of code, and premature optimisation is usually a recipe for poor software.

As the previous post implied, if you only know procedural languages, you only know one way of thinking about "programming", and often that is not the best way.

Related to Programming language and artificial intelligence

1. What is the relationship between programming language and artificial intelligence?

Programming language is the tool used to write code for artificial intelligence (AI) systems. It provides the syntax and structure for creating algorithms and instructions that enable AI to perform tasks and learn from data.

2. What are the most commonly used programming languages for AI?

Python is currently the most widely used programming language for AI due to its simple syntax, extensive libraries, and strong community support. Other popular languages include Java, C++, and R.

3. Do I need to know a specific programming language to work with AI?

It is helpful to have knowledge of at least one programming language to work with AI, but it is not a requirement. Some AI development platforms and tools have user-friendly interfaces and require little to no coding.

4. How does AI use programming languages to learn and make decisions?

AI systems use programming languages to process and analyze data, learn from patterns and trends, and make decisions based on the information it has been trained on. The algorithms and rules written in the programming language dictate how the AI system will behave and make decisions.

5. Can any programming language be used for AI development?

Technically, any programming language can be used for AI development. However, some languages may be better suited for certain AI tasks or have more extensive libraries and resources for AI development. It is important to consider the specific needs and goals of the AI project when choosing a programming language.