Programmable LED board (Large)

• Thread starter TOONCES
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board Led
In summary: There are a few ways you could do this. One would be to use a microcontroller to drive the matrix and have it output to an LCD or LED display. Another would be to use an Arduino board and an LCD or LED display. For the power, you will need to figure out how many LEDs you are using and how much power they are drawing.
TOONCES
Ok so I'm going to start this by saying I'm a mechanical engineer and circuits don't make very much sense to me. (So your help is very appreciated)

I'm currently designing a board game and I need to be able to program a large amount of led's.

Basically, I have 217 holes in a gameboard that need to be able to illuminate red, green, and blue (and potentially one other color). The board is about 15"x20". The holes are 0.6" in diameter. My main objective is to have multiple different patterns programmed into some type of CPU (i.e. arduino board). So, for example, I may want to have 3 random holes lit up blue, 2 lit up green, and 5 red. This would be one pattern and I need to have multiple. Each hole has to be able to display each color (217 holes).

Now, as I mentioned before, my circuit skills are horrendous.
I need to know a couple things:
-Is there a better way of implementing that many lights into my board?
If not,
-Can someone give me an example on how to connect all these leds together so that I am still able to connect them to a CPU?
-Btw, I really have no clue how to build a simple, single led circuit.
-Should I make a PCB to connect all these leds together?
-How much power am I going to need (or how do I figure out how much power I need) in order to power the leds and the CPU?

That's all I can think of right now as far as questions are concerned. I really appreciate any help.

As a last note, I have researched online on how to do something like this but have come up with lackluster results (maybe I don't know what I'm looking for). I should also mention that I haven't really searched the forum for any previous cases because I feel that this is a unique case.

Thanks for any help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh boy...if you have truly never connected an LED to a battery (!through a resistor!) you are probably biting off more than you can chew here. Perhaps there is someone in your neighborhood who can walk you though what you need? Designing this all online and ad-hoc will probably be asymptotic to impossible.

That said, my glib answers -- presuming that I understand that what you want is to be able to light up any or all of 4 LEDs in 217 positions -- follow:

Your main trouble is that you won't find a micro-controller with, hmm, 4x217=868 individual output lines.

So I would use a scanned matrix driver such that both the "plus" power and "minus" ground connections are switched in rapid succession -- this is how most multi-led displays are driven when you get to the bottom of the stack. A 15x15 matrix would drive 225 LEDs, e.g., by switching on each set of 15 in a column and enabling each column by switching on each row in sequence. (I'll bet that makes no sense, but I can't think of how to describe it better without drawing pictures...). You'll need four of those, one for each LED color.

With all those wires I recommend coming up with some kind of modular circuit board to hold and connect sets of LEDs, and interconnect the boards as well.

How many LEDs are ON at once? You can figure about 20mA per LED if it's on continuously but can spread that over your 15 matrix rows since they will be flashing at a high rate. If you were to have all 15 in a column ON that would be .3amps per color.

Or else you could use a video monitor instead? Then all your "LEDs" are already wired up...

Well I have actually connected an led to a breadboard before, but it has been awhile.

I'm not sure what the scanned matrix driver that you refer to is, and I haven't been able to find anything online about them. If you could direct me to some information about them that would be great. Also, would I be able to program multiple different patterns into the matrix driver?

There wouldn't be more than 20 leds on at a time, but I'm thinking if this led plan is a bad route then it won't matter much. And if it is I should be able to figure out a power required.

As far as the monitor is concerned, do you mean an actual video monitor, like computer monitor? That may be either too big or out of my budget. However, I do like the idea of having some sort of monitor underneath the board as opposed to the leds. It definitely gives more options. Is there another type of monitor I can use that would be thin/lightweight? I doesn't need to be high def or anything like that, so maybe there is a cheap screen that I would be able to use?

Thanks again!

I just googled "matrix led driver" and got a bunch of (possibly) useful links, e.g.:
http://picprojects.org.uk/projects/lc/index.htm
http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-matrix-using-shift-registers/

The former has a brief description of the matrix drive idea. The latter has a (maybe) better method than I was thinking, to use shift registers to get the data out to the matrix. Hopefully you'll get some ideas from this.

For video... a year and a half ago I bought a used PC with a 17" LCD monitor for $180
(including a usable laser printer!). At .10 each you are going to spend close to $90 on LEDs. Maybe a reconceptualization of design criteria is in order?

Related to Programmable LED board (Large)

1. What is a programmable LED board and how does it work?

A programmable LED board is a display panel made up of multiple LED lights that can be programmed and controlled by a microcontroller. The board works by sending commands to the microcontroller, which then activates specific LED lights to create patterns, images, or text.

2. What can I use a programmable LED board for?

A programmable LED board can be used for a variety of purposes, such as creating eye-catching signage for businesses, displaying information or graphics at events, creating art installations, or for personal use as a customizable light display.

3. What programming languages can I use to program the LED board?

Most programmable LED boards are compatible with a variety of programming languages, including C++, Python, and Arduino. Some boards may also come with pre-programmed software that allows for easier customization.

4. Do I need any additional equipment or tools to use the LED board?

In most cases, a programmable LED board will come with all the necessary equipment, such as a microcontroller, power supply, and software. However, depending on your specific project, you may need additional tools or components, such as a computer for programming or extra wiring for more complex designs.

5. Can I connect multiple LED boards together?

Yes, it is possible to connect multiple LED boards together to create a larger display. However, you may need additional equipment, such as a LED driver or multiplexer, to control all the boards simultaneously.