How Do You Determine the Profit-Maximizing Output in Economics?

• Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supply
In summary, to find the profit maximizing production output, we need to take the derivative of the profit function with respect to quantity, set it equal to zero, and then use the second derivative test to determine if it is a maximum. We can also use the inverse of the marginal profit function to find a function that outputs the profit maximizing quantity at a given price. These steps can be applied to any given production cost function to find the profit maximizing quantity.
Cinitiator

Homework Statement

I need to find the profit maximizing production output given any random production function, an output quantity, and a unit price. In fact, I need to find a function which would output a profit maximizing production quantity.

Homework Equations

I have a relevant picture:
250px-Profit_max_total_small.svg.png

The Attempt at a Solution

We will assume that production cost function at a given quantity is C(q) = q^2 due to the diminishing returns of the production process, and consequently exponentially growing costs.
The total revenues function is R(p,q) = p*q
The total profit function is therefore P(p,q) = R(p,q) - C(q) = p*q-q^2 = q(p-q)

I assumed a constant price, and graphed P(q) as a constant function of profit at a given quantity q sold, and could find the profit maximizing quantity graphically for any price I wanted. For example, for the price of 4 dollars per unit, the profit maximizing quantity was 2.
I simply replaced p with 4 in the total profits equation, so that it would be P(q)= q*(4-q).

Now, knowing this, I need to find a function which would output the profit maximizing output at a given price (say, S(p, q), which would output the profit maximizing supply). How do I do that? I would assume I would need to use a second partial derivative test and so on and so forth, but I don't know how exactly to apply it here.

I also need to learn to be able to do that for any given production cost function, so any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can offer some guidance on how to approach this problem. To find the profit maximizing production output, we need to first understand the relationship between production quantity and profit. This can be done by taking the derivative of the profit function, P(q), with respect to quantity, q. This will give us the marginal profit function, which represents the change in profit for a unit change in quantity.

Next, we need to set this marginal profit function equal to zero and solve for q. This will give us the quantity at which profit is maximized. This is known as the first order condition for profit maximization.

However, it is important to note that this only gives us a critical point, which could be a maximum, minimum, or an inflection point. To determine if it is a maximum, we need to take the second derivative of the profit function and evaluate it at the critical point. If the second derivative is negative, then the critical point is a maximum and represents the profit maximizing quantity. If the second derivative is positive, then the critical point is a minimum and does not represent the profit maximizing quantity.

Now, to find a function that outputs the profit maximizing quantity at a given price, we can use the inverse function of the marginal profit function. This will give us a function S(p) that represents the profit maximizing supply at a given price.

As for using this approach for any given production cost function, the steps remain the same. We first need to find the marginal profit function by taking the derivative of the profit function, set it equal to zero to find the critical point, and then use the second derivative test to determine if it is a maximum or not.

I hope this helps in solving your problem. Good luck!

1. What is profit maximizing supply?

Profit maximizing supply is the quantity of a product or service that a company should produce in order to achieve the highest possible profit. It takes into account the costs of production, market demand, and pricing strategies.

2. How is profit maximizing supply calculated?

The profit maximizing supply is calculated by finding the point at which the marginal cost of producing one additional unit of a product is equal to the marginal revenue gained from selling that unit. This is known as the equilibrium point, and it represents the optimal level of production for maximum profit.

3. What factors influence profit maximizing supply?

There are several factors that can influence profit maximizing supply, including the costs of production, market demand, competition, and pricing strategies. Changes in any of these factors can affect the optimal level of production for maximum profit.

4. How does profit maximizing supply affect pricing decisions?

Profit maximizing supply is closely tied to pricing decisions. In order to achieve maximum profit, a company must consider the costs of production when setting prices. If the cost of producing one additional unit exceeds the potential revenue gained from selling that unit, it may be necessary to adjust prices in order to maintain the equilibrium point.

5. Can profit maximizing supply change over time?

Yes, profit maximizing supply can change over time. This is because the factors that influence it, such as market demand and costs of production, are constantly changing. Companies must regularly reassess and adjust their production levels in order to maintain maximum profit.