Electromagnetic power radiation

In summary, the electromagnetic power radiated by a nonrelativistic moving point charge can be calculated using the formula P = (q^2a^2)/(6pi*e0*c^3). When a proton is placed in a cyclotron with a radius of 0.500 m and a magnetic field of magnitude 0.350 T, its electromagnetic power can be calculated by finding the centripetal acceleration of the proton using the formula a = (v^2)/r = (q^2B^2r^2)/(m^2r) and then substituting it into the power equation. This formula is known as Larmor's formula.
gnome
Given that the electromagnetic power radiated by a nonrelativistic moving point charge q having acceleration a is:
[tex]P = \frac {q^2a^2}{6 \pi \epsilon_0 c^3} [/tex]
(This formula was presented without discussion or explanation in the problems section of my textbook.)

If a proton is placed in a cyclotron with a radius of 0.500 m and a magnetic field of magnitude 0.350 T, what electromagnetic power is radiated by this proton?

This looks like one of those dumb problems where you just plug numbers into a formula, but ... what's a in this situation? We are not given the voltage difference between the dees of the cyclotron. So I thought maybe I can use the exit velocity of the proton of the proton given by
[tex]v = \frac {qBr}{m}[/tex]

Edited:
OK. It turns out that was the right approach. Only I went off talking about angular acceleration, when I should be dealing with centripetal acceleration. So, the following lines of tex are garbage. The corrected stuff is in the next post.

[tex]a = \frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{q^2B^2r^2}{m^2r}[/tex]

[tex]a^2 = \frac{q^4B^4r^2}{m^4}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK.

Please just disregard that garbage up above. I've tried editing it several times, but for some reason the board won't let me fix the tex images, so the last 2 lines of tex are nonsense.

Sorry...

It should say

[tex]a = \frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{q^2B^2r^2}{m^2r} [/tex]

and then:

[tex]a^2 = \frac{q^4B^4r^2}{m^4} [/tex]

and then putting that into the power equation works.

Last edited:
Well... you saved me the trouble of decoding them!

That power equation is called Larmor's formula, by the way.

1. What is electromagnetic power radiation?

Electromagnetic power radiation is a form of energy that is emitted from a source in the form of waves. It is a combination of electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

2. How is electromagnetic power radiation produced?

Electromagnetic power radiation is produced when an electric charge undergoes acceleration or deceleration. This can occur naturally, such as with lightning or the sun's radiation, or can be man-made, such as with radio waves.

3. What are the potential health effects of electromagnetic power radiation?

The potential health effects of electromagnetic power radiation are a common concern. However, the consensus among scientific research is that exposure to low levels of electromagnetic radiation from everyday devices, such as cell phones and Wi-Fi, do not pose a significant health risk. Higher levels of exposure, such as those found in industrial settings, may have potential health effects, but these are closely regulated by government agencies.

4. How does electromagnetic power radiation interact with matter?

When electromagnetic power radiation comes into contact with matter, it can be either absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. The type of interaction depends on the frequency and energy level of the radiation, as well as the properties of the matter it is interacting with.

5. What are some common sources of electromagnetic power radiation?

Some common sources of electromagnetic power radiation include the sun, electronic devices, power lines, and various industrial processes. It is also produced by natural phenomena, such as lightning, and can be found in the Earth's atmosphere in the form of cosmic rays.