Professional development for an AP Teacher

In summary, a well-rounded physics teacher should have a strong understanding of fundamental and modern physics topics, with a particular focus on quantum physics. Incorporating laboratory experiments into teaching is also important for reinforcing concepts.
jdlawlis
I haven't posted here in a while, and it feels good to be back. Here's my dilemma. I have taught AP Mechanics and Electricity & Magnetism at a private school for a few years now. My background is not in Physics, however, and therefore I have not taken some of the standard courses that a Physics major would take. I feel like I am doing a disservice to my students, who occasionally ask questions outside of my area of expertise.
To give you some background, my undergraduate major was in Materials Science Engineering at Cornell U. The extent of my Physics classes were Mechanics, E & M, and Optics & Waves. I have since obtained a PhD in Geophysics at Penn State, which reinforced some of the previous concepts and added new ones.
For instance, I would like to improve my understanding of quantum physics. I know that Kittel is the "bible" of quantum physics, so to speak, but it makes for slow reading. Can anyone recommend additional reading that might shed light on the issue? (I have read Feynman's QED, which was easy to understand.) In addition to quantum physics, what other subjects do you think a well-rounded physics teacher should know? And no, I'm not talking about my beer gut.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think a well-rounded physics teacher should have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of physics, such as classical mechanics, electricity & magnetism, thermodynamics, optics, relativity, and quantum mechanics. In addition, it would be helpful to have a good understanding of modern physics topics such as particle physics, cosmology, and astrophysics.

As for quantum physics, I highly recommend reading Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, which provides a very accessible introduction to the subject. Other helpful books include Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics, Schiff's Quantum Mechanics, and Zettili's Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications. Additionally, online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer a wealth of free information about quantum mechanics.

Finally, don't forget about the importance of incorporating laboratory experiments into your teaching. Doing so will help to reinforce the concepts you are teaching and can help to make more abstract concepts tangible.

I can completely understand your dilemma and desire for professional development as an AP Physics teacher. It is commendable that you are recognizing the gaps in your knowledge and seeking ways to improve your understanding for the benefit of your students.

Firstly, I would like to commend you for taking on the challenge of teaching AP Physics despite not having a background in the subject. Your background in Materials Science Engineering and Geophysics may not be directly related to Physics, but they do provide a strong foundation in scientific principles and problem-solving skills, which are essential in teaching AP Physics.

In terms of improving your understanding of quantum physics, I would suggest consulting with other physics teachers or colleagues who have a strong background in the subject. They may be able to recommend additional reading materials or offer insights and explanations that can help you grasp the concepts more easily. You can also attend workshops or conferences specifically focused on quantum physics in order to further your knowledge and understanding.

In addition to quantum physics, I would also suggest familiarizing yourself with other important topics in Physics such as thermodynamics, relativity, and particle physics. These are fundamental concepts that are often covered in AP Physics courses and having a strong understanding of them will greatly benefit your teaching.

Lastly, continuing education and professional development are key in any field, especially in the ever-evolving field of science. I encourage you to continue seeking opportunities to further your knowledge and understanding in physics, whether it be through workshops, conferences, or self-study. Your dedication to improving your skills as an AP Physics teacher will not only benefit your students, but also contribute to the overall advancement of science education.

Best of luck in your professional development journey!

Related to Professional development for an AP Teacher

1. What is professional development for an AP teacher?

Professional development for an AP teacher refers to the ongoing learning and training opportunities that are specifically designed for teachers who are teaching Advanced Placement (AP) courses. This type of professional development focuses on providing teachers with the skills, knowledge, and resources they need to effectively teach AP courses to their students.

2. Why is professional development important for AP teachers?

Professional development is important for AP teachers because it helps them stay updated on the latest teaching methods and strategies, as well as the content and structure of AP courses. It also provides them with the opportunity to collaborate with other AP teachers and share best practices, which can ultimately improve student outcomes.

3. What types of professional development are available for AP teachers?

There are various types of professional development opportunities available for AP teachers, including workshops, conferences, webinars, online courses, and mentorship programs. Some organizations and institutions also offer specialized training programs specifically for AP teachers.

4. How can professional development benefit AP teachers and their students?

Professional development can benefit AP teachers and their students in multiple ways. It can improve teachers' subject knowledge and teaching skills, which can lead to more engaging and effective lessons. This, in turn, can result in improved student performance and success in AP courses and exams.

5. How can AP teachers find professional development opportunities?

AP teachers can find professional development opportunities through various sources, such as their school or district, educational organizations, and online platforms. The College Board, which administers AP courses and exams, also offers a range of professional development options for AP teachers on their website.