Products in Fraction: Bigger with Sub/Super Scripts

• MHB
  • Thread starter rapid1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the conversation discussed how to include sub/super scripts above and below a big product operator in display style. This can be done either by activating display style using \displaystyle or using \dfrac instead of \frac, or by using \prod\limits to place the limits above/below the operator. The TeXbook was referenced for more information on this topic.
rapid1
Basically i have this code, obviously the fraction is in display maths, but i want BIG products too, with sub/super scripts above and below rather than next to it. Thanks

$$
pr(X=k)=\mu\frac{\prod^{k-1}_{i=1}\{1-\mu+(i-1)\theta\}}{\prod^{k}_{i=1}\{1+(i-1)\theta\}}, \quad \mbox{for k$\geq$ 1,}
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
rapid said:
Basically i have this code, obviously the fraction is in display maths, but i want BIG products too, with sub/super scripts above and below rather than next to it. Thanks

$$
pr(X=k)=\mu\frac{\prod^{k-1}_{i=1}\{1-\mu+(i-1)\theta\}}{\prod^{k}_{i=1}\{1+(i-1)\theta\}}, \quad \mbox{for k$\geq$ 1,}
$$

type \displaystyle in front of \prod$$
pr(X=k)=\mu\frac{\displaystyle\prod^{k-1}_{i=1}\{1-\mu+(i-1)\theta\}}{\displaystyle\prod^{k}_{i=1}\{1+(i-1)\theta\}}, \quad \mbox{for k$\geq$ 1,}$$

There are two ways to place limits above and below an operator. First, this is the default for big operators in display style. Here, the fraction is in display style, but the nominator and denominator are in text style. You can activate display style using \displaystyle in the nominator and denominator or by using \dfrac instead of \frac. Second, without changing the style, you can put the limits above/below the operator by saying \prod\limits. Conversely, in display style limits can be put next to the operator by saying \prod\nolimits.

See also p. 144 of The TeXbook.

And it's as simple as that :p Thanks very much!

Thank you for sharing your code. It seems like you are trying to create a fraction with sub/super scripts for the numerator and denominator. To make the products bigger, you can use the \displaystyle command before the \prod command. This will make the products appear larger and more prominent. Additionally, you can use the \limits command before the sub/super scripts to place them above and below the products, rather than next to them. Your code could look like this:

$$
pr(X=k)=\mu\frac{\displaystyle\prod\limits^{k-1}_{i=1}\{1-\mu+(i-1)\theta\}}{\displaystyle\prod\limits^{k}_{i=1}\{1+(i-1)\theta\}}, \quad \mbox{for k$\geq$ 1,}
$$

I hope this helps you achieve your desired result. Happy coding!

Related to Products in Fraction: Bigger with Sub/Super Scripts

1. What are sub and super scripts in products with fractions?

Subscripts and superscripts are small numbers or symbols that are written below or above a number or variable, respectively. In products with fractions, subscripts and superscripts are used to indicate the position of a number or variable in the fraction.

2. How do I write products with fractions that have subscripts and superscripts?

To write a product with fractions that have subscripts and superscripts, first write the numbers or variables as normal. Then, use the "_" symbol to indicate a subscript and the "^" symbol to indicate a superscript. For example, 5/2 can be written as 51/2.

3. Can subscripts and superscripts be used in both the numerator and denominator of a fraction?

Yes, subscripts and superscripts can be used in both the numerator and denominator of a fraction. This is often seen in complex fractions where both the numerator and denominator have multiple numbers or variables.

4. How can I simplify products with fractions that have subscripts and superscripts?

To simplify products with fractions that have subscripts and superscripts, follow the same rules as simplifying regular fractions. Combine like terms, factor out common factors, and cancel out any common factors between the numerator and denominator.

5. Are there any special rules for performing operations on products with fractions that have subscripts and superscripts?

There are no special rules for performing operations on products with fractions that have subscripts and superscripts. The same rules for performing operations on regular fractions apply. Remember to also follow the order of operations when simplifying complex expressions.