Two Black Holes. No singularity.

In summary, a recent observation of two black holes with a star between them showed that the gravity of the black holes cancelled each other out, allowing the star to remain relatively unaffected. This led to a discussion about whether a person or spaceship could survive passing between two black holes that are cancelling each other out. However, it was clarified that the black holes still have their normal event horizons and passing between them is not the same as passing through a single black hole. The overall surface area of the black holes does not decrease, and as they approach each other, the far horizons increase to compensate for any losses in the interior area.
Nicool003
I watched a special recently in which there were two black holes observed and there was a single star between them. Instead of doing what a single black hole would do- pull the star into/onto it with it's imense gravity- the star stayed relatively the way it was because the black holes were simply canceling out each other. Well If they could do this with a star then they would be likely to be the same for a person. If a spaceship (far in the future obviously...) was to go between the two black holes it would likely survive too. Also, if they cancel each other out visibly (with the star) then isn't it likely that they cancel each other out not visibly? As in they would NOT affect space time except in their immediate area (itself)? Unlike other black holes which would effect everywhere.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A good idea at first glance, but ultimatly no. The black holes are themselves individual systems and do indeed warp spacetime as they should. It is merely the gravity/tidal forces that balance out. Two fairly equal magnitude forces in oppoisite directions will do this. Essentially the star is in a liberation point in the two black hole system. There should be 4 more positions as well.

Two equivalent black holes approaching each other distort their intervening spacetime by mutual attraction so that between them their event horizons actually diminish!

No, that is not correct. A black hole's event horizon must always increase, with the sole exception being when it consumes a single virtual particle in a virtual particle pair. The two black holes in this system would have their normal event horizons.

Well I agree with Lauren mainly because I thought pretty hard about this and I got abbout the same thing... but you could be right brad can you give us mroe?

In the other PF there was a topic about black holes and it was discussed that there is a chance a person could survive a black hole because they might be too small to be affected. I did not participate in the thread because at the time I knew less about black holes than I do now. I did, however, read some of that thread and that is what was discussed. If a person could possibly survive one, They could certainly survive between two that are canceling each other out...

Let us look at the system of what is occurring.

We have two black holes orbiting each other. Each black hole is its own separate entity. Yes they are bound by each other's gravitational pull since they are in orbit. We also know a black hole is a severe local curvature of spacetime, and far out it is like any other effect. This is why if the sun suddenly just turned into a black hole, most all the planets (save perhaps mercury) would remain in their current orbits. The two black holes orbiting each other would have no way to reduce each other's gravity. In fact they don't. What happens is a state of equillibrium akin to being in the center of the earth. Gravity is pulling on you equally from two opposite directions. The vectors sum out to zero, but they do exist. If you move out towards one you'll be pulled into it. Passing between two black holes is not the same as passing through one.

If any other effects, the black holes may be a bit elongated due to tidal forces, but that is all. Eventually they will spiral into each other and the resulting event horizon will be much larger (the sum of the previous two).

The vector reduction in gravity is local, in between the black holes. The overall surface area of the holes does not decrease.

As the black holes approach each other, the original (distance-->infinity) facing event horizon volume (but not necessarily its area) diminishes as the escape velocity there falls below the speed of light. The holes' far horizons increase surface area more than enough to compensate for the interior area losses.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own weight. This process creates a singularity, a point of infinite density, at the center of the black hole.

3. What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point of infinite density and zero volume at the center of a black hole. It is where the laws of physics as we know them break down.

4. Why are two black holes with no singularity significant?

Two black holes with no singularity are significant because they challenge our current understanding of the universe. They suggest that there may be other ways for massive objects to collapse without forming a singularity.

5. What are the implications of two black holes with no singularity?

The implications of two black holes with no singularity are still being studied and debated by scientists. Some theories suggest that it could lead to a completely new understanding of gravity and the fabric of spacetime.