Production of Ammonia from Nitrogen Oxides

In summary, the conversation revolved around the process of producing ammonia from nitrogen oxides, specifically NO2 or NO. The original poster was unable to find the equation for this process online and requested help from others. There was a mention of forum guidelines and the potential danger of gaseous ammonia. The equation provided was unbalanced and another member questioned the purpose of the process. The conversation then shifted to a humorous discussion about methods and the potential for N2O as a product. The original poster clarified that they were a student and not looking for a homework answer, but rather information on the nitration of ammonia to form nitrogen oxide.
crays
Hi guys, i remember there is a process that produce ammonia from nitrogen oxides, either NO2 or NO but i couldn't remember the equation and couldn't find it online, all i get was haber process when the word ammonia is there. Anyone have any idea?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but this might be against the forum guidelines, since gaseous ammonia can be pretty dangerous. Why exactly are you interested in this process?

You might be looking for this (unbalanced) equation:
NO2 + H2O → O2 + NH3

Sorry am still a student, but i thought this question might not fit into the homework area, what i was actually looking for was Nitration of Ammonia to form Nitrogen Oxide hehe.

4NH3 + 5O2 <---> 6H2O + 4NO

Nitration of ammonia? It doesn't make much sense.

--
methods

But it is, of course, funny! It makes me laugh...

It would be even funnier with N2O between products.

--
methods

Yes, but not as relaxing.

Related to Production of Ammonia from Nitrogen Oxides

1. How is ammonia produced from nitrogen oxides?

Ammonia is produced from nitrogen oxides through a process called the Haber-Bosch process. In this process, nitrogen oxides are reacted with hydrogen gas in the presence of a catalyst, typically iron or ruthenium, at high temperatures and pressures.

2. What are the main uses of ammonia produced from nitrogen oxides?

The main use of ammonia produced from nitrogen oxides is as a fertilizer in agriculture. It is also used in the production of various chemicals, such as nitric acid, as well as in the manufacture of plastics, textiles, and cleaning products.

3. How does the production of ammonia from nitrogen oxides impact the environment?

The production of ammonia from nitrogen oxides can have negative environmental impacts. The process requires large amounts of energy, which often comes from fossil fuels, contributing to greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, the production of ammonia can result in the release of nitrogen oxides, which contribute to air pollution and acid rain.

4. Are there any alternative methods for producing ammonia from nitrogen oxides?

Yes, there are alternative methods for producing ammonia from nitrogen oxides. One method is through biological nitrogen fixation, where certain bacteria convert atmospheric nitrogen into ammonia. Another method is through the electrochemical reduction of nitrogen, using renewable energy sources.

5. What are the future developments in the production of ammonia from nitrogen oxides?

One potential future development is the use of renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, to power the Haber-Bosch process, reducing the carbon footprint of ammonia production. Research is also being done to find more efficient and sustainable catalysts for the production of ammonia from nitrogen oxides.