Product of two 2D smooth functions

In summary, if two differentiable functions are multiplied together, the resulting product is also differentiable. This applies even when the functions are multivariate, as long as they are restricted to a well-behaved subset. However, it is important to note that differentiation in multivariable calculus can be more complex than in single variable calculus.
Telemachus
Hi there. It is obvious that if you have two differentiable functions ##f(x)## and ##g(x)##, then the product ##h(x)=f(x)g(x)## is also smooth, from the chain rule.

But if now these functions are multivariate, and I have that ##h(x,y)=f(x)g(y)##, that is ##f(x,y)=f(x)## for all y, and similarly ##g(x,y)=g(y)## for all x. In this situation is also ensured the differentiability of ##h(x,y)## by the differentiability of ##f(x)## and ##g(y)##?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes.

I suggest avoiding the word 'smooth' in this case though. It is generally reserved for functions that are infinitely differentiable. It happens to also be true that the product of two smooth functions is smooth.

By the way, in general a function ##h:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R##that is partial differentiable with respect to both its arguments is not necessarily differentiable. But the function you have given above is in a particularly well-behaved subset of those functions, so it is differentiable.

Likes Telemachus
Great, thank you! and yes, I am particularly interested in the situation where both functions are differentiable. It is somewhat restrictive, but is the case I am concerned with. I remember from my multivariate analysis curse (many many years ago) that differentiation in multivariable calculus becomes somewhat subtle. So I wasn't sure about it, and I was working on some numerical algorithms where this fact is important.

Related to Product of two 2D smooth functions

What is a "Product of two 2D smooth functions"?

A "Product of two 2D smooth functions" refers to the mathematical operation of multiplying two functions that each take two variables (usually denoted as x and y) as inputs and produce a smooth output surface in a two-dimensional space. This operation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

What are some examples of "Product of two 2D smooth functions"?

Examples of "Product of two 2D smooth functions" include the product of two sine waves, the product of a Gaussian function and a linear function, and the product of two polynomial functions.

What are the properties of a "Product of two 2D smooth functions"?

The properties of a "Product of two 2D smooth functions" include being continuous, differentiable, and having a smooth and continuous gradient. The product of two smooth functions is also a smooth function itself.

What are some applications of "Product of two 2D smooth functions"?

The "Product of two 2D smooth functions" is commonly used in computer graphics to create realistic textures and lighting effects. It is also used in physics to model the interaction of two smooth surfaces, such as in friction or collision calculations.

How is the "Product of two 2D smooth functions" calculated?

The "Product of two 2D smooth functions" is calculated by multiplying the two individual functions together, resulting in a new function that represents the product of the two original functions. This can be done by hand or using mathematical software such as MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha.