Product of the gradients of perpendicular lines proof help

In summary, the conversation is about a textbook proof on the product of gradients of perpendicular lines. The question is about why the x and y-axis make the same angle (theta) when they intersect AB and CD. The proof involves showing that triangles PQR and PST are similar and using the fact that the angle between perpendicular lines is 90 degrees. The conversation also includes a link to the textbook and a typed out version of the proof. Finally, the person asking the question clarifies their understanding with the help of the other person.
Theodore Hodson
Okay I'm having a little trouble understanding a section of this proof about the product of the gradients of perpendicular lines given in my textbook. I'm going to type the proof out but there will be a link at the bottom to an online version of the textbook so you can see the accompanying diagram too.

I understand essentially the whole proof except this one thing it says at the beginning. This bit: 'If AB makes an angle theta with the x-axis then CD makes an angle theta with the y axis.'

So my question is this: Why do the x and y-axis make the same angle (theta) when they intersect AB and CD? What's the reason/proof behind that?

Will be very grateful if anyone can explain this clearly to me:)

Here is the link to my textbook (go to slide 79 - the bit on perpendicular lines at the bottom): http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/Slyscott12/core-maths-for-a-level-3rd-edition-by-lbostock-schandler
Here is the proof typed out:
Consider the perpendicular lines AB and CD whose gradients are m1 and m2 respectively.
If AB makes an angle theta with the x-axis then CD makes an angle theta with the y axis. Therefore triangles PQR and PST are similar.
Now the gradient of AB is ST/PS=m1
And the gradient of CD is - PQ/QR=m2,i.e PQ /QR= - m2

But ST/PS=QR/PQ (since triangles PQR and PST are similar)

Therefore m1= - 1/m2 or m1 *m2 = - 1

Physics news on Phys.org
BPD is a right angle. (Given)

SPQ is a right angle because PS is parallel to the x-axis and QP is parallel to the y-axis.

Now consider angle SPR...

1- AB makes an angle θ with y axis. If both lines are rotated 90 deg cw, then AB is now parallel with CD and y-axis is now parallel with x axis, so angle between CD and x-axis is also θ.

2 - Consider the quadrilateral APDO. The corners at O and P are 90 deg by definition. The 4 corners must total 360 , so corners at A and D must total 180. At corner A, the acute angle and obtuse angle with y-axis must also total 180. So the acute angles between the lines and the axes must be equal, and the obtuse angles between the lines and the axes must be equal.

robphy said:
BPD is a right angle. (Given)

SPQ is a right angle because PS is parallel to the x-axis and QP is parallel to the y-axis.

Now consider angle SPR...
Okay I think I might have it. So going from what you said:

∠ BPD=90° and ∠SPQ=90°

From the diagram ∠BPS+∠SPR =∠BPD
then ∠BPS +∠SPR = 90°

So ∠BPS = 90°-∠SPR

Also, as ∠SPR +∠RPQ =∠SPQ then

∠SPR +∠RPQ = 90°

So ∠RPQ = 90° - ∠SPR

Therefore ∠RPQ = ∠BPS

And in the book they've just marked ∠RPQ and ∠BPS down as theta. Is this right?

Related to Product of the gradients of perpendicular lines proof help

1. What is the Product of the Gradients of Perpendicular Lines Proof?

The Product of the Gradients of Perpendicular Lines Proof is a mathematical proof that shows the relationship between the gradients (slopes) of two perpendicular lines. It states that the product of the gradients of two perpendicular lines is always equal to -1.

2. Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it is a fundamental concept in geometry and is used to solve problems involving perpendicular lines, such as finding the equation of a line perpendicular to another line or finding the angle between two perpendicular lines.

3. How is this proof derived?

This proof is derived using the properties of perpendicular lines and the slope formula. By setting the slopes of two perpendicular lines equal to each other and solving for one of the slopes, we can prove that the product of the two slopes is always equal to -1.

4. Can this proof be applied to any two perpendicular lines?

Yes, this proof can be applied to any two perpendicular lines, regardless of their orientation or position on a graph. As long as the two lines are perpendicular, the product of their gradients will always be equal to -1.

5. How can I use this proof in real-world applications?

This proof has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the slope of a ramp or the angle of a roof. It can also be used in navigation to find the direction of two perpendicular streets or in construction to ensure that walls are built at right angles to each other.