Product of Inertia: Understand the Rule

In summary, the concept of product of inertia is important in understanding the rotational behavior of an object. Non-zero products of inertia mean that the rotation around a certain axis cannot be pure, and that there must be a resulting torque or body tumbling. However, it is possible to select a coordinate system in which all the products of inertia are zero.
ian2012
I am confused about the concept of product of inertia.

Wikipedia says: "Here Ixx denotes the moment of inertia around the x-axis when the objects are rotated around the x-axis, Ixy denotes the moment of inertia around the y-axis when the objects are rotated around the x-axis, and so on."

So, when do you get a product of inertia(what's the rule)? I am guessing only when the rotating (about the center of mass) object has mass in regions x, y, z > 0. If one of the coordinates are zero and the object is stuck rotating in a plane, then I am assuming it has stable rotation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that non-zero products of inertia means that rotation about the axis in question cannot be pure or, similarly, that the inertial body in question is not inertial symmetric around that axis.

If you look at the equation that really defines the meaning of the inertia tensor (in inertial space), namely [itex] L = I \omega[/itex] you can see that if any of the product of inertia (the off-diagonal elements of I) is non-zero, the angular momentum vector will in general not point in the same direction as the rotation axis and any rotation will be a non-pure rotation (for pure rotation the angular momentum vector is parallel to the rotation axis).

For a body with fixed direction of rotation axis this means that there must be a resulting torque that will make the "tip" of the angular momentum vector move in circles around the the rotation axis, like what happens for dynamically unbalanced wheels, for instance. As the inertia tensor is usually defined in body coordinates, which rotates around the rotation axis, the inertia tensor in inertial space will thus always have off-diagonal elements that are non-zero.

On the other hand, for a torque free body (where the resulting torque is zero) the angular momentum vector stays fixed in inertial space and the rotation vector must then move around the angular momentum in some way, usually giving rise to body tumbling.

Also, as you probably know, it is possible to select a (principal) coordinate system for any rigid body such that the rotation around each of these principal axis is pure and in this coordinate system all the products of inertia is zero.

Related to Product of Inertia: Understand the Rule

1. What is the product of inertia?

The product of inertia is a physical quantity that describes the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation. It is a measure of how far away the mass is from the axis and how the mass is distributed in relation to the other axes. It is an important concept in understanding the rotational motion of an object.

2. How is the product of inertia calculated?

The product of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle in an object by the distance of that particle from the axis of rotation, and then summing these values for all particles in the object. This calculation is typically represented by the symbol Ixy, where x and y represent the two axes of rotation.

3. What is the significance of the product of inertia?

The product of inertia is significant because it helps us understand the rotational motion of an object. It is used in many engineering and physics applications, such as calculating the moment of inertia and determining the stability of a rotating object.

4. How does the product of inertia relate to the moment of inertia?

The product of inertia is one component of the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The product of inertia is used in calculating the moment of inertia for an object rotating around a specific axis.

5. How can the product of inertia be used to determine the stability of a rotating object?

The product of inertia is used in calculating the stability factor of a rotating object, which determines how stable the object will be when subjected to external forces. A higher product of inertia indicates a more stable object, while a lower product of inertia indicates a less stable object.