Product of Groups: Understand Max Subgroups & Taking the Product of Groups

In summary, taking the product of two groups involves creating a new group by combining elements from each factor group using their respective operations. This can be done for any collection of sets and is defined in most textbooks. A maximal (normal) subgroup is one that is not properly contained in another proper (normal) subgroup. When taking the product of two groups, it may be helpful to note that when the factors have coprime orders, the resulting product group is isomorphic to the product of their orders.
DanielThrice
I'm having trouble understanding the product of groups and their max normal subgroups. What does it mean to be a max subgroup? How do I take the product of two groups?
How do I do it for something like S7 X Z7 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just the cartesian product (like you can make out of any collection of sets), and the group operation on the product is done componentwise, using the operation from each factor group. Surely this definition is in your textbook.

A maximal (normal) subgroup is a (normal) subgroup not properly contained in another proper (normal) subgroup. Note in particular this does not imply that a maximal normal subgroup contains every other normal subgroup.

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope I don't break any rules and give you too much help for your homework :p

But I remember being very confused when I first bumped into the direct product of groups.

If we start with the basic definition: If A and B are both groups then A x B = {(a,b) | a [tex]\in[/tex] A, b[tex]\in[/tex] B}, so it is the set of all (a,b) where a is in A and b is in B.

then for example to find Z2 x Z3:

we know {0,1} is Z2 and {0,1,2} is Z3
so Z2 x Z3 is the set of all (a,b) where a is in {0,1} and b is in {0,1,2}
therefore Z2 x Z3 = {(0,0), (0,1), (0,2), (1,0), (1,1), (1,2)}

obviously this is very clumsy and long, so if you're working with direct products it's useful to note that when Zn x Zm, if n and m are coprime then Zn x Zm is isomorphic to Znm.

So in the example above, Z2 x Z3 is isomorphic to Z6.

Related to Product of Groups: Understand Max Subgroups & Taking the Product of Groups

What is the concept of taking the product of groups?

Taking the product of groups is a mathematical operation that combines two or more groups together to form a new group. It is similar to multiplying numbers, but instead of numbers, we are combining groups.

What is the significance of understanding max subgroups in relation to taking the product of groups?

Understanding max subgroups is important when taking the product of groups because it helps us identify the largest possible subgroups that can be formed from the product of two groups. This knowledge can be useful in solving complex problems in group theory.

How do you find the product of two groups?

To find the product of two groups, you need to first identify the elements of each group and then combine them following the group operation. The resulting group will have elements that are the combination of the elements from both groups.

Can you take the product of more than two groups?

Yes, you can take the product of any number of groups. The resulting group will have elements that are the combination of elements from all the groups involved.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the product of groups?

The concept of taking the product of groups has various applications in different fields such as computer science, physics, and chemistry. In computer science, it is used in cryptography and coding theory. In physics, it is used in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetries of particles. In chemistry, it is used to study the structures of molecules and crystals.