Problems with ground with batteries

In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of "ground" in electronics, specifically in relation to oscillators. The question was raised about using -ve voltage as ground and its limitations, and alternatives for a 0v reference point were discussed. The conversation also touched on Kirchoff's Current Law and the misconception that electricity has a special affinity for ground. The concept of "virtual ground" was mentioned as a possible solution.
Kerso1991
Hiya, I'm a bit of an intermediate in electronics and I am moving into oscillator territory and am thinking more about "ground" rather than "the negative side of the battery". Obviously, using -ve voltage as ground has some setbacks with dc-ac oscillators as current can only flow if there is a true 0v reference point(when the ac signal goes into the -ve phase then the -ve side of a battery is absolutely useless). What can I use as 0v rather than -9v on a battery that'll actually work? Considering that current cannot flow from the -ve side of one battery to the +ve side of another without the oposite polarities being connected, I'm presuming that current also cannot flow from the +v side of one battery and the ground on a mains plug.
Any help would be great

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you believe in Kirchoff's Current Law?

Current only can go back to its source.
If "Ground" happens to provide a path back there , current might take it. Or it might not, if there's a better path.

The "water" analogy mis-leads almost all beginners because we see water fall from our garden hose to "ground".
It's gravity causing that, not some magical affinity of water for ground.

Electricity doesn't care a whit about gravity.
It has no magical affinity for "Ground" (which I prefer to call "Earth" to distinguish from "Circuit Common" aka 'ground' )
Kerso1991 said:
as current can only flow if there is a true 0v reference point(when the ac signal goes into the -ve phase then the -ve side of a battery is absolutely useless).

I cannot parse that statement.
Can you slow down and re-phrase it one thought at a time?
"A question well stated is half answered".

There exists a concept in circuits known as "virtual ground" midway between supply rails... maybe that's what your are considering? Try a few searches on those words.

Related to Problems with ground with batteries

1. What causes problems with ground when using batteries?

The most common cause of problems with ground when using batteries is a poor or faulty ground connection, which can lead to unwanted electrical currents and interference.

2. How can I tell if I have a ground problem with my batteries?

Signs of a ground problem with batteries include reduced battery life, abnormal voltage readings, and increased noise or interference in electronic equipment.

3. Can a ground problem with batteries be dangerous?

Yes, a ground problem with batteries can be dangerous as it can lead to electrical shocks, fires, and damage to equipment. It is important to address any ground issues promptly.

4. What can I do to fix a ground problem with my batteries?

First, check all connections and make sure they are secure and free of corrosion. If necessary, replace any damaged or faulty components. You may also need to install a separate ground rod for your battery system.

5. Can I prevent ground problems with batteries?

Yes, proper installation and maintenance of your battery system can help prevent ground problems. Make sure all connections are secure and clean, and regularly check for any signs of damage or corrosion. It may also be helpful to install surge protectors or grounding straps for added protection.