Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Problems searched by search engines

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
I was wondering whether it is possible to identify a certain thread in the forum by search engines especially those with now words only mathematical expressions.

[1] Does google or any search engine only look at the titles of the threads?

[2] If I searched for a certain problem and I wrote that in latex .i.e \int^1_0 x^2 dx will the search engine be able to find this certain thread if we assume that the problem does uniquely exist in our forums ?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I was wondering whether it is possible to identify a certain thread in the forum by search engines especially those with now words only mathematical expressions.

[1] Does google or any search engine only look at the titles of the threads?

[2] If I searched for a certain problem and I wrote that in latex .i.e \int^1_0 x^2 dx will the search engine be able to find this certain thread if we assume that the problem does uniquely exist in our forums ?
Google will use the title and some keywords/phrases in the body of a webpage, but not everything is guaranteed to be indexed. We use software that submits pages to Google round the clock to be crawled. Other forum software will be different. If you want to search our site the best way to do it is to use our own search function.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Google will use the title and some keywords/phrases in the body of a webpage, but not everything is guaranteed to be indexed. We use software that submits pages to Google round the clock to be crawled. Other forum software will be different. If you want to search our site the best way to do it is to use our own search function.
To use google for MHB, you can type: "<keywords> site:mathhelpboards.com".
I consider Google better than the built-in vBulletin search facility, depending on what you want to use it for.
On PF they have added a google search feature directly in the search menu.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
To use google for MHB, you can type: "<keywords> site:mathhelpboards.com".
I consider Google better than the built-in vBulletin search facility, depending on what you want to use it for.
On PF they have added a google search feature directly in the search menu.
Interesting. I am a little skeptical though because our built in search engine has access to our database, which Google doesn't. Perhaps we could test this out a bit. There is a much better and faster search engine software that can be implemented for vB, but I don't think we need it yet. It's called Sphinx.