Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

problems from other sites

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
So I have noticed we have a trend of posting questions from other sites on here to solve. My question is why are we working through unsolved problems or interesting problems from other sites when we have unsolved problems here?

Shouldn't we solve problems here before we branch out to work on other sites problem on this site?

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
So I have noticed we have a trend of posting questions from other sites on here to solve. My question is why are we working through unsolved problems or interesting problems from other sites when we have unsolved problems here?

Shouldn't we solve problems here before we branch out to work on other sites problem on this site?
I think [but of course is only my opinion...] that many 'unsolved problems', here as in other sites, are 'unsolved' because there are wrongly formulated so that they are incomprehensible. Please, can You give an example of unanswered question in MHB?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I think [but of course is only my opinion...] that many 'unsolved problems', here as in other sites, are 'unsolved' because there are wrongly formulated so that they are incomprehensible. Please, can You give an example of unanswered question in MHB?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
When I say unsolved questions, I don't mean unanswered questions. Just be clicking on the unanswered thread any date we can see many unanswered threads. However, there are threads with replies that are still unsolved. I believe it was Jameson who said that we should focus on having quality solutions here (I paraphrase). His exact quote can be found in a thread in the chat room probably in a one of the threads where people were comparing MHB with other forums.

Also, this post wasn't in regards to your post. There were others who started doing this earlier. I was just frustrated since I myself have numerous unsolved threads and then I see solutions to question for people who aren't even members.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I understand what you mean dwsmith. You have a number of threads where you are making an effort and not really getting the help you need, such as this one. I don't really know what to do about it though but I do agree that solving all unanswered threads here sounds like a better idea before bringing in new problems from other sites when the answer might not be seen from the person who originally asked it.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
... I was just frustrated since I myself have numerous unsolved threads and then I see solutions to question for people who aren't even members...
Honestly I don't like polemics but some concepts have to be well precised. I performed a little 'research' on the posts You have opened about precise math problems and their overall number is 103. Among these 91 have the label 'solved' and that means that the 88 percent of Your questions have received adequate answer on MHB. Regarding the 'unsolved problems' I don't want to enter into discussion but we can suppose that in part they are really 'difficult to solve', in part wronghly formulated and in part 'ruined' in various modes. In any case, at least regarding Your posts, it seems to me that the 'performance' of MHB are to be considered 'more than acceptable'...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Good point, chisigma.

I want to sort of expand on what I meant in my post before. I am trying to say that I understand dwsmith's frustration at not getting help sometimes and seeing other threads from other sites being posted and answered. While in an ideal world all questions asked by members here would be answered before questions from other sites, it's not something I want to make a policy against or discourage as it does help our site as well. I appreciate any and all efforts made on MHB. I feel like I understand both sides of the issue but don't again don't feel there is anything I can do without causing more problems than now. If anyone has an idea, I would be very happy to read it.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Honestly I don't like polemics but some concepts have to be well precised. I performed a little 'research' on the posts You have opened about precise math problems and their overall number is 103. Among these 91 have the label 'solved' and that means that the 88 percent of Your questions have received adequate answer on MHB. Regarding the 'unsolved problems' I don't want to enter into discussion but we can suppose that in part they are really 'difficult to solve', in part wronghly formulated and in part 'ruined' in various modes. In any case, at least regarding Your posts, it seems to me that the 'performance' of MHB are to be considered 'more than acceptable'...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
If the recent complex questions are wrongfully formatted, you will need to take that with Serge Lang's ghost.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012

Your suggestion would leave people here paralysed by unresolved questions here that they either can't or don't want to answer.

Also the purpose of posting questions here from other sites is the free advertising that a link on the other site gets MHBs.

Also^2: You cannot dictate to people what questions they shoud respond to here, we are all volanteers.

CB

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Your suggestion would leave people here paralysed by unresolved questions here that they either can't or don't want to answer.

Also the purpose of posting questions here from other sites is the free advertising that a link on the other site gets MHBs.

Also^2: You cannot dictate to people what questions they shoud respond to here, we are all volanteers.

CB
There was never speak of dictating what people do here. Does it not make sense to help your members over others who aren't member and may never visit the site?
To me, it is all about common sense.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
There was never speak of dictating what people do here. Does it not make sense to help your members over others who aren't member and may never visit the site?
To me, it is all about common sense.
What do you suggest doing?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
What do you suggest doing?
I think we should be more focused on our members here. I answer questions on Physics Forum but you know what I don't bring the answer here. I answer it there.
I think answer questions from other sources and bring the solution here when there are plenty of unsolved threads here can disenfranchise the members hoping for guidance. Why would you want to stay at a site where members are pulling other questions and neglecting yours? If we want to build a stronger user base, we need to focus on our users. If someone wants to answer question from other site, answer it there. I do that.

I see it like this. Many developed countries have areas that in deplorable conditions. However, when a natural disaster afflicts a third world country, aid from those countries goes pouring in. What do citizens of that developed country think when they have been trying to get a hospital built up to code or police force that can patrol their city? They usually aren't to pleased to see billions go overseas when there are significant problems in their own backyard which have been neglected for years by the politicians.

We are doing this with math help.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
I think we should be more focused on our members here.
I'm afraid I will remain focused on trying to make this place a success. Which requires that we increase the number of active members, and not necessarily spend all of our time answering large numbers of questions from a small number of individuals.

Also I will not have someone dictate which questions I choose to answer. If that were to happen then I would go somewhere else (and no not to that place).

CB

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I'm afraid I will remain focused on trying to make this place a success. Which requires that we increase the number of active members, and not necessarily spend all of our time answering large numbers of questions from a small number of individuals.

Also I will not have someone dictate which questions I choose to answer. If that were to happen then I would go somewhere else (and no not to that place).

CB
Where is anyone dictating to you what to answer. It is apparent you haven't read what I wrote.

Let's think bout this. If you are prospective member checking out the site and see unanswered threads and then distinguished members posting solutions to answer from other site for people not belonging to hear, why would they want to be a member? Who says man look they will answer everyone else thread but potential neglect mine, yippee!

What about the current members that here? Do they want to be active when they see this? Or should they think about a new place to go since hey then they may get an answer.

No one is saying for you not to answer those questions but why do they need to be here? No one here asked that. How do the members waiting in the wings for help see this? Well I could imagine that isn't like wow look at them go. Can you believe it? They are doing great for (insert site name). Oh wait those people aren't here to see the solution.

You don't have to answer every question especially if you don't want to but to have questions neglected here and bring questions from other sources is like a slap in he face to those come here and participate. We aren't concerned about Bob's question on Yahoo, MHF, etc.

This was the point of the previous post but apparently that was to hard to see. Maybe direct works better.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Where is anyone dictating to you what to answer. It is apparent you haven't read what I wrote.

Let's think bout this. If you are prospective member checking out the site and see unanswered threads and then distinguished members posting solutions to answer from other site for people not belonging to hear, why would they want to be a member? Who says man look they will answer everyone else thread but potential neglect mine, yippee!

What about the current members that here? Do they want to be active when they see this? Or should they think about a new place to go since hey then they may get an answer.

No one is saying for you not to answer those questions but why do they need to be here? No one here asked that. How do the members waiting in the wings for help see this? Well I could imagine that isn't like wow look at them go. Can you believe it? They are doing great for (insert site name). Oh wait those people aren't here to see the solution.

You don't have to answer every question especially if you don't want to but to have questions neglected here and bring questions from other sources is like a slap in he face to those come here and participate. We aren't concerned about Bob's question on Yahoo, MHF, etc.

This was the point of the previous post but apparently that was to hard to see. Maybe direct works better.
So are you are telling me that if there are unsolved questions here that I can not or do not want to answer I should not import questions from elsewhere for whatever reason?

CB

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I wonder is it possible to reference MHB somehow when a problem is brought in from another site? Like if someone reposts a problem from another math site maybe we could try to get the person to view the reply here instead of copying it over from here to the other site.

I know that chisigma has a nice thread going titled Unsolved statistics questions from other sites. If someone at MHB helps with these problems I think they should get credit somehow and note that it was from this site.

I think everyone in this thread is a regular here on MHB and wants MHB to succeed, so I really hope I don't offend anyone and also hope this thread stays a medium to discuss relevant issues. Having people disagree cordially on the internet is almost unknown and I would love to have it here.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
I wonder is it possible to reference MHB somehow when a problem is brought in from another site? Like if someone reposts a problem from another math site maybe we could try to get the person to view the reply here instead of copying it over from here to the other site.

I know that chisigma has a nice thread going titled Unsolved statistics questions from other sites. If someone at MHB helps with these problems I think they should get credit somehow and note that it was from this site.

I think everyone in this thread is a regular here on MHB and wants MHB to succeed, so I really hope I don't offend anyone and also hope this thread stays a medium to discuss relevant issues. Having people disagree cordially on the internet is almost unknown and I would love to have it here.
I don't know what chisigma does but for Yahoo Answers I leave a link in the answer (I also post the answer there, but it is ASCII only entry so I tell them it is properly typeset over here). In the case of the other place I PM the originator (but I only do this for old regular posters there).

CB

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I don't know what chisigma does but for Yahoo Answers I leave a link in the answer (I also post the answer there, but it is ASCII only entry so I tell them it is properly typeset over here). In the case of the other place I PM the originator (but I only do this for old regular posters there).

CB
That's exactly what I meant.

Last edited:

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

CB
What I have done is to open a space dedicated to solution of problem in the statistic's area non solved on other sites. I personally don't think that leaving public or even private messages on other sites [including MHF where I am currently a member qualified as 'expert' and for that over my avatar there is a funny symbol remembering Soviet Union (Fubar)...] is a correct practice... in my opinion it is in any case useful that on MHB exists a space dedicated to unsolved statistic problems and that, sooner or later, will produce benefits...

... of course it is possible that on other sites somebody has the same idea and that means that we should do any efforts not to leave unsolved problem on MHB... in that sense I agree with dwsmith...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

CB
By pming links on MHF, you will get the heavy traffic warming and never be able to log in again. The reason being is Mash set it up that way. That will answer you question on the other thread where you asked this.

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

That's exactly what I meant.
You send to many links on MHF you will get a traffic warning and the site will be rendered useless to you unless you make another account and PM mash. I don't think competing sites want others sending links to their competitors. So that may be a novel idea but it may be futile.

I see it as insulting to current members to ignore them for other sites and then post it here. It says hey you are less important than this person who may or may not ever join, and if they do join, may not even be an active member. Also, why would they join? They can just follow the link see the solution and move on. Since we are posting solution to their problems and not posting guidance, why would the join? They just had their cake and ate it too.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I asked what you suggest we do and your answer wasn't really that concrete, although I personally agree with your reasoning. I have said multiple times that I understand your frustration and agree that it would be best to answer all of our members' questions before questions from non-members, but what can I reasonable do?

I think that as the site grows this issue will become less and less of a problem. In 6-12 months I hope that no one will be posting questions from other sites but there still will be some level of answered questions. What I want for MHB is to have a much lower level of unanswered questions than other sites, but having no unanswered questions is impossible.

Last edited:

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I asked what you suggest we do and your answer wasn't really that concrete, although I personally agree with your reasoning. I have said multiple times that I understand your frustration and agree that it would be best to answer all of our members' questions before questions from non-members, but what can I reasonable do?

You shouldn't have to do anything. How can people not see the obvious? Why must we important when there are many not answered here? Just like we shouldn't talk about MHF here since there is no affiliation we shouldn't bring in other questions since there is no affiliation via the person here or the site.

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

I have a suggestion. How about instead of importing the question and answering, members inform the member that they can get adequate help at MHB and they should post it there?

This way they have to join, they will guidance not answers, and existing members wont be frustrated when they are ignored for those who have no connection to here.