Problems from Lev Landau's "Theoretical Minimum"

In summary: These are usually the ones that omit the solutions from the back of the book and go into more detail.In summary, Lev Landau created a notoriously difficult entry exam for his students, with only four problems currently available online. These problems cover topics such as electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and classical mechanics. His books may contain more challenging problems, and it is recommended to focus on the last few problems in each chapter for the toughest challenges. However, solving Landau's problems requires a high level of knowledge and skill.
JoePhysics
It seems Lev Landau created an entry exam to test his students, and the exam was known to be ridiculously hard. To get an idea as to how hard the test really was, I've been scouring the Internet for problems Landau proposed... so far I've managed to find only four.

Electrodynamics
  1. A dielectric sphere with the electric and magnetic susceptibilities ##\varepsilon_1## and ##\mu_1## is rotating with angular frequency ##\omega## in a constant electric field ##\mathbf{E}## in a medium, characterized by the parameters ##\varepsilon_2## and ##\mu_2##. The angle between the rotation axis and the direction of ##\mathbf{E}## is ##\alpha##. Find the electric and magnetic fields inside the sphere and in the medium.
Quantum mechanics
  1. The electron enters a straight pipe of circular cross section (radius ##r##). The tube is bent at a radius ##R \gg r## by the angle ##\alpha## and then is aligned back again. Find the probability that the electron will jump out.
  2. A hemisphere lies on an infinite two-dimensional plane. The electron falls on the hemisphere, determine the scattering cross section in the Born approximation.
  3. The electron "sits" in the ground state in the cone-shaped "bag" under the influence of gravity. The lower end of the plastic bag is cut with scissors. Find the time for the electron to fall out (in the semi-classical approximation).
Does anyone know where to find more problems? These should be entertaining and good practice for the graduate qualifying exam. :oldbiggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
You might try reading his books for the problems as per this physics stackexchange discussion:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/13861/lev-landaus-theoretical-minimum
Yes, that PSE is exactly where I got the quantum mechanics problems from. It does seem to mention his books, though I'm not sure which problems in his books showed up in the exam later on. I was hoping there was a compendium of some sort somewhere.

Any Lev problem is worthy of solving. They were all so difficult and I didn't have the patience to solve them or if I did I'd get stuck and couldn't prove my answer was correct. It takes a certain level of knowledge and brilliance which I have yet to attain to get through his stuff.

Look through each chapter and assume the last few problems are the toughest ones.

Likes JoePhysics

Related to Problems from Lev Landau's "Theoretical Minimum"

1. What is "Problems from Lev Landau's Theoretical Minimum"?

"Problems from Lev Landau's Theoretical Minimum" is a collection of physics problems compiled by the renowned Soviet physicist Lev Landau. These problems cover a wide range of topics in theoretical physics and are designed to challenge and deepen the understanding of students and researchers in the field.

2. Who is Lev Landau?

Lev Landau (1908-1968) was a Soviet physicist who made significant contributions to various fields of theoretical physics, including quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1962 for his work on superfluidity.

3. What is the purpose of "Theoretical Minimum"?

The purpose of "Theoretical Minimum" is to provide a comprehensive set of problems for students and researchers to practice and deepen their understanding of theoretical physics. It covers a wide range of topics and difficulty levels, making it a valuable resource for anyone studying or researching in this field.

4. Are the problems in "Theoretical Minimum" suitable for beginners?

While some of the problems in "Theoretical Minimum" may be challenging for beginners, the collection also includes problems of varying difficulty levels, making it suitable for students at different stages of their education. It is recommended to start with the easier problems and gradually work your way up to the more difficult ones.

5. Can "Theoretical Minimum" be used for self-study?

Yes, "Theoretical Minimum" can be used for self-study. The problems are organized by topic and difficulty level, making it easy for individuals to choose which problems to work on. Additionally, there are solutions provided for all the problems, so students can check their answers and learn from any mistakes they may have made.