Problems and Theorems in Analysis by Polya and Szego

• Analysis
  • Thread starter SrVishi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a good book for learning real analysis through an inquiry-based approach. The book in question is "Problems and Theorems in Analysis" by Polya and Szego, which is recommended by the school's online library. The individual is wondering if the book is self-contained with definitions and suitable for learning analysis on their own. They also express their interest in finding guided discovery/inquiry-based problem books for various subjects and hope that Polya and Szego's book fits this criteria. Another individual mentions that Pólya was known for his interest in mathematics education but points out that inquiry-based learning may be slower and not as expansive. The original individual decides to check out the book regardless and mentions that their
SrVishi
Hi, apparently (as seen in my school's online library page) my school has Problems and Theorems in Analysis by Polya and Szego. I hear this book is really good, but I am wondering if this book is good for learning real analysis. I haven't looked inside the book, but is it like an inquiry based learning approach? Is it a self-contained book with definitions, that can in theory (as in, of course maybe having outsource a bit if the problems are too difficult) learn analysis from? I am in general trying to find guided discovery/inquiry based problem books for most subjects since I think they are amazing, but whenever I find one, it is usually not very deep. For example, this book seems okay, but doesn't cover much. I was hoping to find one for analysis that is very expansive., and I am hoping Polya and Szego's book is of this type. Thanks in advance for any response.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read this book but it looks like a good shot. Pólya was very interested in mathematics education; whether that translates to a good text remains to be seen. There is another problem book with a similar title, subscript advanced calculus of the real line i think, which i have read. It seemed to be more geared at putnam-style problems, but is an interesting book to look through. There may be a pdf online

Another thing to point out is that "inquiry based" means "slow", which usually clashes with expansive knowledge.

Thanks for your reply! I'll probably just check it out anyways. As far as inquiry based goes, I don't really know what to call it. I know inquiry based learning is more "guided discovery" type learning, and the books are generally a slower pace, lower level. The thing that really got me into was one of my professor's lecture notes that were under the title of "guided discover." It was essentially just a sequence of problems theorems for you to prove all on your own, with the occasional blurb of extra explanation and hints. Even though it was "guided discovery" it got pretty deep for the number of pages. I went to look for some similar style of material, but they usually, in whatever subject they were, were again, slow and low-level. I was just hoping to find sources of similar quality.

Related to Problems and Theorems in Analysis by Polya and Szego

1. What is the main focus of "Problems and Theorems in Analysis by Polya and Szego"?

The main focus of this book is to provide a wide range of problems and theorems in mathematical analysis, with an emphasis on problem-solving techniques and strategies.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in mathematical analysis?

While this book covers a wide range of topics, it is primarily aimed at graduate level students and researchers in mathematical analysis. Some prior knowledge and understanding of the subject is recommended.

3. How is the book structured?

The book is divided into four parts: Introduction, Foundations, Analysis in One Variable, and Analysis in Several Variables. Each part contains multiple chapters, with each chapter focusing on a specific topic or area of mathematical analysis.

4. Are there any solutions provided for the problems in the book?

Yes, there are solutions provided for selected problems at the end of each chapter. However, the authors encourage readers to first attempt the problems on their own before referring to the solutions.

5. What makes "Problems and Theorems in Analysis by Polya and Szego" a valuable resource for mathematicians?

This book not only provides a comprehensive collection of problems and theorems in mathematical analysis, but it also offers valuable insights and approaches to problem-solving that can benefit mathematicians at any level. It also includes historical background and context for many of the problems, making it a valuable reference for research and study.