Problem with Sines on both sides

• Thread starter PerryKid
  • Start date
In summary: Clearly we are on the same wavelength :)In summary, to solve for the unknown angle ∅ in the equation 1.33 sin 25.0° = 1.50 sin ∅, you need to use an inverse sine to isolate the variable. This equation is derived from Snell's law in introductory physics, and the range of the angle ∅ is limited to -π/2 ≤ ∅ ≤ π/2.
PerryKid

Homework Statement

Solve for ∅

1.33 sin 25.0° = 1.50 sin ∅

Homework Equations

Law of Sines?

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this:

([STRIKE]1.33[/STRIKE] sin 25.0°)/[STRIKE]1.33[/STRIKE] = (1.50 sin ∅)/1.33
sin 25.0° = (1.50 sin ∅)/1.33

but I'm solving for ∅, so I modified a little:

(1.33 sin 25.0°)/1.50 = ([STRIKE]1.50 [/STRIKE]sin ∅)/[STRIKE]1.50[/STRIKE]
sin ∅ = (1.33 sin 25.0°)/1.50

I have a basic understanding of trigonometry (SOH CAH TOA) but I'm not too sure how to do this. Can I use an inverse sine to figure? Does the law of sines apply?

There is no triangle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The law of sines is irrelevant to solving for the unknown angle phi. If you want to solve for phi, then, yes, you must use an inverse sine in your calculations.

You have/i] to use an inverse sign.
1st solve for ##\sin\phi## and then take the inverse sine of both sides.

Simon Bridge said:
You have/i] to use an inverse sign.
1st solve for ##\sin\phi## and then take the inverse sine of both sides.

So will this solve for ∅?

[STRIKE]sin-1[/STRIKE]([STRIKE]sin[/STRIKE] ∅) = sin-1((1.33 sin 25.0°)/1.50)
∅ = sin-1((1.33 sin 25.0°)/1.50)

Last edited:
Absolutely: ##\sin^{-1}(\sin\phi )=\phi## by definition, so if ##\sin\phi = x## then ##\phi=\sin^{-1}x## where ##x## stands for everything on the RHS.

Welcome to PF BTW :)

Simon Bridge said:
Absolutely: ##\sin^{-1}(\sin\phi )=\phi## by definition, so if ##\sin\phi = x## then ##\phi=\sin^{-1}x## where ##x## stands for everything on the RHS.

Welcome to PF BTW :)

Actually, ##\sin^{-1}(\sin\phi )=\phi## is only true for

##\displaystyle \ \ -\,\frac{\pi}{2}\le\phi\le \frac{\pi}{2}\ .##

Yah well - that would be the rest of the definition ... the geometry here is Snell's law.

Simon Bridge said:
Yah well - that would be the rest of the definition ... the geometry here is Snell's law.
What you say makes perfect sense !

It would have helped if OP had mentioned what he/she was applying the "Law of Sines" to.

"Law of sines" is usually derived on a scalene triangle - so the angle range is 0-pi.
The other clue is that this is "introductory physics homework"... where else would this structure come up?

If this question were posted in an algebra, or signals processing (say), context, I'd have had to bring up the periodicity next. No need to provide everything in one go - one step at a time huh? ;)

Nice heads up though.

Related to Problem with Sines on both sides

1. What is the "Problem with Sines on both sides"?

The "Problem with Sines on both sides" is a mathematical concept that involves solving equations with sines on both sides. This can be challenging because it requires applying trigonometric identities and manipulating equations to isolate the variable.

2. Why is solving equations with sines on both sides difficult?

Solving equations with sines on both sides can be difficult because it involves applying trigonometric identities, which can be complicated and require a thorough understanding of trigonometric functions. Additionally, it requires manipulating equations with multiple sines, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors.

3. What are some strategies for solving equations with sines on both sides?

One strategy for solving equations with sines on both sides is to use trigonometric identities, such as the sum and difference identities, to simplify the equation before isolating the variable. Another strategy is to use the unit circle to convert sines to cosines or vice versa, which can make the equation easier to solve.

4. Are there any common mistakes made when solving equations with sines on both sides?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving equations with sines on both sides include forgetting to apply trigonometric identities, making errors when manipulating equations, and forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. It is important to carefully follow each step and double-check the solution to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving equations with sines on both sides?

To improve your skills in solving equations with sines on both sides, it is important to have a strong understanding of trigonometric functions and identities. Practice using different strategies, such as converting sines to cosines and using trigonometric identities, to solve equations. Additionally, double-check your solutions and learn from any mistakes you make to improve your skills in the future.