Problem with complex conjugates and the Time Independent Schrodinger equation

In summary, the complex conjugate operation in the time-independent Schrödinger equation not only reverses the sign in front of the imaginary part, but also changes both the wave function and its time derivative to their complex conjugates due to the complex nature of the equation. This is a result of the Hamiltonian being Hermitian.
randybryan
I can understand that if z= a + ib then z*=a - ib, where the definition of the complex conjugate is reversing the sign in front of the imaginary part.

I'm now confused about how the complex conjugate works in the TISE. in a stationary state,

i[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial\\t}[/tex]= E[tex]\Psi[/tex]

this can be arranged to give the time derivative as

[tex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial\\t}[/tex]= -[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}[/tex] E[tex]\Psi[/tex]

Now my textbook says that the complex conjugate of this derivative is

[tex]\frac{\partial\Psi\\^{*}}{\partial\\t}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}[/tex] E[tex]\Psi\\^{*}[/tex]

This is where I'm confused. I understand that in order to take the conjugate of the derivative of the wave function, we change the sign in front of the i, but then it also changes the wave function on the right-hand-side to its complex conjugate. There must be something implicit that I'm missing. I'm sure its something very trivial, I just don't understand why the wave function on the right hand has also changed to the complex conjugate.

Physics news on Phys.org
randybryan said:
I can understand that if z= a + ib then z*=a - ib, where the definition of the complex conjugate is reversing the sign in front of the imaginary part.

I'm now confused about how the complex conjugate works in the TISE. in a stationary state,

i[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial\\t}[/tex]= E[tex]\Psi[/tex]

this can be arranged to give the time derivative as

[tex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial\\t}[/tex]= -[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}[/tex] E[tex]\Psi[/tex]

Now my textbook says that the complex conjugate of this derivative is

[tex]\frac{\partial\Psi\\^{*}}{\partial\\t}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}[/tex] E[tex]\Psi\\^{*}[/tex]

This is where I'm confused. I understand that in order to take the conjugate of the derivative of the wave function, we change the sign in front of the i, but then it also changes the wave function on the right-hand-side to its complex conjugate. There must be something implicit that I'm missing. I'm sure its something very trivial, I just don't understand why the wave function on the right hand has also changed to the complex conjugate.

The time-dependent wavefunction is itself complex, so the complex conjugation operation also changes both [tex]\psi[/tex] and its time derivative to their complex conjugates. Note that the Hamiltonian is Hermitian, so it is its own complex conjugate.

To add to what Spectracat said. Remember that [itex](zw)^*=z^*w^*[/itex] and [itex](z+w)^*=z^*+w^*[/itex] with z and w complex numbers. Therefore [itex]z^*=(a+ib)^*=a^*+i^*b^*=a-ib[/itex], because a and b are real numbers.

Related to Problem with complex conjugates and the Time Independent Schrodinger equation

1. What is the Time Independent Schrodinger equation?

The Time Independent Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the state of a quantum system evolves over time. It is used to calculate the wave function of a particle in a given potential, which can then be used to determine various physical properties of the system.

2. What are complex conjugates in the context of the Schrodinger equation?

In the Schrodinger equation, complex conjugates refer to the complex conjugate of the wave function. This is obtained by changing the sign of the imaginary component of the wave function, while keeping the real component the same. It is commonly denoted by adding a star symbol (e.g. Ψ*).

3. Why is there a problem with complex conjugates in the Time Independent Schrodinger equation?

The problem with complex conjugates arises when solving the Time Independent Schrodinger equation for certain potentials. In these cases, the wave function and its complex conjugate are not independent solutions, which violates the fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that all solutions must be unique. This leads to inconsistencies and difficulties in interpreting the results.

4. How is the problem with complex conjugates resolved?

The problem with complex conjugates is usually resolved by choosing a different mathematical representation of the wave function. This can involve using a different set of basis functions or transforming the wave function into a different form. Additionally, certain symmetries and approximations can also be used to overcome this problem.

5. What are the implications of the problem with complex conjugates?

The problem with complex conjugates can have significant implications in quantum mechanics, as it can lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations of physical phenomena. It also highlights the limitations of the Time Independent Schrodinger equation and the need for more advanced theories, such as the Time Dependent Schrodinger equation and quantum field theory, to fully understand and describe quantum systems.