Problem with appending a dataframe after a loop

• Python
  • Thread starter msn009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop Python
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of adding new rows to a dataframe during iterations, where the existing row is getting replaced instead. The solution is to create the dataframe before the loop begins and use list comprehensions or vectorized solutions instead of pandas iteration, which can be slow.
msn009
I am iterating over 2 variables below and after the calculation are done, i'd like to append the dataframe to add the rows after each iteration, but what is happening now is that the row is getting replaced instead of getting added.

Python:
pre = [10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1]
post  = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

for i in pre:
    for j in post:
        results = pd.DataFrame(index=None)
        row = pd.DataFrame({'pre':i, 'post:j})
        results = results.append(row, ignore_index=True)

how do i ensure that at every iteration a new row will be added instead of replacing the existing one? Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
msn009 said:
Python:
What does that line do?

Ibix said:
What does that line do?
it creates a new dataframe called results and i am appending this dataframe with the values from row

msn009 said:
it creates a new dataframe called results and i am appending this dataframe with the values from row
So what does it do the second time round the loop?

Ibix said:
So what does it do the second time round the loop?
so for the first row it should add 10, 0 and when it goes through the loop again, there should be a new row in with values 10, 1 but what's happening now is the 10,0 is getting replaced with 10,1 instead of getting added.

Not what I wanted to know. What does that line I quoted do the second time around the loop?

Ibix said:
Not what I wanted to know. What does that line I quoted do the second time around the loop?
yes, i get what you mean now. it creates an empty dataframe again. didn't occur to me until now! thanks. i will move it to before the loop begins.

Likes rbelli1 and Ibix
changed the code to below:

Python:
import pandas as pd
index = 0

for i in pre:
    for j in post:
        row = pd.DataFrame({'pre':i, 'post':j})
        print('The new data frame is: \n{}'.format(results))

but its giving me this error now

ValueError: If using all scalar values, you must pass an index --- at the row line.. i am not sure what index should i place in there.

msn009 said:
changed the code to below:

Python:
import pandas as pd
index = 0

for i in pre:
    for j in post:
        row = pd.DataFrame({'pre':i, 'post':j}, index[0])
        print('The new data frame is: \n{}'.format(results))
solved with adding index[0]

Iterating through large pandas dataFrame objects is generally slow. Pandas iteration beats the whole purpose of using DataFrame. It is an anti-pattern and is something you should only do when you have exhausted every other option. It is better look for a List Comprehensions , vectorized solution or DataFrame.apply() method.

Pandas DataFrame loop using list comprehension example

Code:
result = [(x, y,z) for x, y,z in zip(df['column_1'], df['column_2'],df['column_3'])]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Problem with appending a dataframe after a loop

1. What is the issue with appending a dataframe after a loop?

The issue with appending a dataframe after a loop is that it can be inefficient and can cause errors or unexpected results. This is because each time the loop runs, the dataframe must be re-created and the entire dataset must be copied into the new dataframe, which can be time-consuming and resource-intensive.

2. How can I avoid this problem?

One way to avoid this issue is to initialize an empty dataframe before the loop and then use the "append" or "concat" function within the loop to add new data to the existing dataframe. This can be more efficient as it does not require creating a new dataframe each time the loop runs.

3. What other alternatives are there for appending dataframes after a loop?

Another alternative is to use a list to store the data within the loop, and then convert the list into a dataframe once the loop is complete. This can be more efficient than appending dataframes within the loop. Additionally, if the data can be stored in a single dataframe without the need for appending, that would be the most efficient solution.

4. Are there any potential downsides to using loops to append dataframes?

Yes, there are a few potential downsides to using loops to append dataframes. As mentioned before, it can be inefficient and can lead to errors or unexpected results. It can also be difficult to debug and troubleshoot if there are issues with the loop or the data being appended. Additionally, if the data is large, it can cause memory issues and slow down the entire process.

5. Are there any other tips for efficiently working with dataframes in loops?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help improve efficiency when working with dataframes in loops. These include using vectorized operations instead of loops whenever possible, pre-allocating memory for the dataframe, and avoiding unnecessary copying of data. It is also important to carefully consider the structure of the loop and the order in which data is being processed to minimize the need for appending dataframes.