[Problem Solving] See if you can answer my question.

In summary: This conversation seems to discuss a game where two players take turns hitting numbers between 0 and 112 until one loses all their points. The first player can cheat by always going first, and there are times when both players will hit numbers at the same time. The question is whether there is a way to have an advantage in winning 10 games.In summary, the conversation discusses a game where two players take turns hitting numbers between 0 and 112 until one loses all their points. The first player can cheat by always going first, and there are times when both players will hit numbers at the same time. The question is whether there is a way to have an advantage in winning 10 games. However, the game appears to be poorly designed
Albert C
Here we go.

Lets say SUBJECT 1 and SUBJECT 2 have a fight. They both have 990 Points. Each SUBJECT can hit a number from nothing (0) to 112. And they both take turns evenly. Let's say SUBJECT 1 starts to hit a number first and hits 20. Then the Subject 2 would be (990-20)= 970. And they all take turns until one of them gets to 0 points, and then the person who gets to 0 points first loses.

Get it still?

Now there is thing where SUBJECT 1 cheats and can always hit a number first before SUBJECT B. Let's call that PA (Player Advantage).

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question doesn't seem to make any sense.

Hey Albert C and welcome to the forums.

You should make your statements more specific by saying how the game is played in terms of dynamics. Does each player know the others number or not (like in Battleships)? Is the number generated at random or not at random? Does each player have to wait until the other has taken a turn?

You need to outline these things before you can get a specific answer.

Albert C said:
My question is: Is there any way to have a advantage to win the most out of 10?
Well from what you've told us, the only way to have an advantage is to always play as "subject 1".

Albert C said:
Lets say SUBJECT 1 and SUBJECT 2 have a fight.
SUBJECT 1 cheats and can always hit a number first before SUBJECT B.

Subject 1 should be allowed to cheat since he's taking on 2 opponents!

Albert C said:
Here we go.

Lets say SUBJECT 1 and SUBJECT 2 have a fight. They both have 990 Points. Each SUBJECT can hit a number from nothing (0) to 112. And they both take turns evenly. Let's say SUBJECT 1 starts to hit a number first and hits 20. Then the Subject 2 would be (990-20)= 970. And they all take turns until one of them gets to 0 points, and then the person who gets to 0 points first loses.

Get it still?

Now there is thing where SUBJECT 1 cheats and can always hit a number first before SUBJECT B. Let's call that PA (Player Advantage).

My question is: Is there any way to have a advantage to win the most out of 10?

acabus said:
Your question doesn't seem to make any sense.
I agree. What does it mean to "hit a number?"

If they both have 990 points each, and they hit the other player's points, it seems to me you should just hit the max points possible every time. Of course this is not much of a game since the first player always wins.

However, the game is better if they share one set of 990 points. But then, it's still not great because as soon as you get to 224 points or less, the strategy should be to keep the points above 112. When that is reached, the next player just takes out the rest of the points and the other loses.

Question, can you hit the same number more than once?

This game doesn't seem particularly well designed.

ArcanaNoir said:
If they both have 990 points each, and they hit the other player's points, it seems to me you should just hit the max points possible every time. Of course this is not much of a game since the first player always wins.

However, the game is better if they share one set of 990 points. But then, it's still not great because as soon as you get to 224 points or less, the strategy should be to keep the points above 112. When that is reached, the next player just takes out the rest of the points and the other loses.

Question, can you hit the same number more than once?

This game doesn't seem particularly well designed.
No no, you cannot choose which number to hit, it is randomly generated.
And they both have 990 Points.

It still isn't clear what controls who gets to play when. Who starts? If cheating is possible, what form does this take and what is there to prevent it? Why wouldn't a player always cheat? It seems obvious that a player should always endeavour to strike first.

If you can't choose the number, then is the only choice who gets to be player one?

Indeed... Doesn't sound like an enjoyable game :confused:

OP, if you give us the name to this game we could take a look at it on youtube or something to get a better feel for what we're dealing with.

Related to [Problem Solving] See if you can answer my question.

1. How do I approach problem solving?

There are many different approaches to problem solving, but a common one is the 5-step method: 1. Define the problem, 2. Gather information, 3. Generate possible solutions, 4. Evaluate and select a solution, 5. Implement and monitor the solution. It's important to also remain open-minded and think creatively when approaching a problem.

2. What are some common obstacles in problem solving?

Some common obstacles in problem solving include a lack of information, preconceived notions or biases, and difficulty seeing the problem from different perspectives. It's important to be aware of these obstacles and actively work to overcome them.

3. How can I improve my problem solving skills?

There are a few ways to improve your problem solving skills. One is to practice regularly and actively seek out new challenges. Another is to continually learn and expand your knowledge in different areas. Additionally, seeking feedback from others and reflecting on your problem solving process can also help improve your skills.

4. What are some strategies for solving complex problems?

Some strategies for solving complex problems include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking out different perspectives and ideas, and using trial and error. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

5. Can problem solving be applied to everyday life?

Absolutely! Problem solving is a useful skill for all areas of life. It can help with decision making, conflict resolution, and finding solutions to everyday challenges. By practicing problem solving regularly, you can improve your ability to handle a variety of situations in your personal and professional life.