Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

problem solving calculating area

einie101

Oct 23, 2019
I help students a bit with their math. As a teacher I am over 35 years removed from Math so I am rusty. I had the following questions given to me by some students and I couldn't even remember.Math 1A.jpgMath 1B.jpgMath 1C.jpg

The students are required to show their work how to solve this problem.

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
$2W + L = 200$

$2W = 200 - L$

condition (1) ... $W \ge 30 \implies 2W \ge 60 \implies 200-L \ge 60 \implies L \le 140$

condition (2) ... $L \ge 2W \implies L \ge 200-L \implies L \ge 100$

If a square is made, each side of the fence would have what dimension in feet given the 200 ft of available fencing?

Square that dimension. Recall $9 \text{ ft}^2 = 1 \text{ yd}^2$

einie101

Oct 23, 2019
In which grade level does one normally find this kind of equality question? I simply can't remember actually ever studying this kind of question type. Is there a name for this type of question i.e. equalities? I am still at a loss on how to calculate the 2nd question.
Thank you again.

Last edited:

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
In which grade level does one normally find this kind of equality question? I simply can't remember actually ever studying this kind of question type. Is there a name for this type of question i.e. equalities? Thank you again.
In my country, it's for Grade 11. Dunno how that applies to Western countries, though.

einie101

Oct 23, 2019
In my country, it's for Grade 11. Dunno how that applies to Western countries, though.
I'm in Jakarta presently . .. is that using an International curriculum (i.e. Cambridge/Oxford etc.) or the National Indonesian Curriculum (I see you are in Indonesia).

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
... I am still at a loss on how to calculate the 2nd question.
200 ft of fencing form three of the four equal sides of the square with the fourth side being the side of the building.

Each side of fence is $\dfrac{200}{3} \text{ ft}$

area of the square formed is $\left(\dfrac{200}{3}\right)^2 \text{ ft}^2$

remember you’ll need to convert square feet into square yards ... I supplied the conversion relationship in my initial post

einie101

Oct 23, 2019
The answer is supposed to be 493.8 . . . if I take (200/3)2 = 66.67 * 66.67 = 4444.4 then divide this number by 9 I get the answer . . . I was not remembering this step . . . boy my math muscles are weak. The difficulty to add insult to injury is that over here in Asia the imperial system is unfamiliar . . .

Last edited:

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
I'm in Jakarta presently . .. is that using an International curriculum (i.e. Cambridge/Oxford etc.) or the National Indonesian Curriculum (I see you are in Indonesia).
I see. I was wondering because your profile says that your location is in Jakarta but it has a Canadian flag.
It's the National Indonesian Curriculum.