Problem solving calculating area

In summary, the conversation is about a teacher who is helping students with math but is rusty due to being away from math for over 35 years. The students are given a problem involving a square made with a given amount of fencing and the teacher is struggling to remember how to solve it. They also discuss the grade level at which this type of question is usually taught and the conversion between square feet and square yards. The teacher also mentions that they are currently in Jakarta, Indonesia, using the National Indonesian Curriculum.
einie101
I help students a bit with their math. As a teacher I am over 35 years removed from Math so I am rusty. I had the following questions given to me by some students and I couldn't even remember.View attachment 9317View attachment 9318View attachment 9316

The students are required to show their work how to solve this problem.

Attachments

• Math 1C.jpg
    Math 1C.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Math 1A.jpg
    Math 1A.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Math 1B.jpg
    Math 1B.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 76
Mathematics news on Phys.org
$2W + L = 200$

$2W = 200 - L$

condition (1) ... $W \ge 30 \implies 2W \ge 60 \implies 200-L \ge 60 \implies L \le 140$

condition (2) ... $L \ge 2W \implies L \ge 200-L \implies L \ge 100$If a square is made, each side of the fence would have what dimension in feet given the 200 ft of available fencing?

Square that dimension. Recall $9 \text{ ft}^2 = 1 \text{ yd}^2$

In which grade level does one normally find this kind of equality question? I simply can't remember actually ever studying this kind of question type. Is there a name for this type of question i.e. equalities? I am still at a loss on how to calculate the 2nd question.
Thank you again.

Last edited:
einie101 said:
In which grade level does one normally find this kind of equality question? I simply can't remember actually ever studying this kind of question type. Is there a name for this type of question i.e. equalities? Thank you again.

In my country, it's for Grade 11. Dunno how that applies to Western countries, though.

Monoxdifly said:
In my country, it's for Grade 11. Dunno how that applies to Western countries, though.
I'm in Jakarta presently . .. is that using an International curriculum (i.e. Cambridge/Oxford etc.) or the National Indonesian Curriculum (I see you are in Indonesia).

einie101 said:
... I am still at a loss on how to calculate the 2nd question.

200 ft of fencing form three of the four equal sides of the square with the fourth side being the side of the building.

Each side of fence is $\dfrac{200}{3} \text{ ft}$

area of the square formed is $\left(\dfrac{200}{3}\right)^2 \text{ ft}^2$

remember you’ll need to convert square feet into square yards ... I supplied the conversion relationship in my initial post

The answer is supposed to be 493.8 . . . if I take (200/3)2 = 66.67 * 66.67 = 4444.4 then divide this number by 9 I get the answer . . . I was not remembering this step . . . boy my math muscles are weak. The difficulty to add insult to injury is that over here in Asia the imperial system is unfamiliar . . .

Last edited:
einie101 said:
I'm in Jakarta presently . .. is that using an International curriculum (i.e. Cambridge/Oxford etc.) or the National Indonesian Curriculum (I see you are in Indonesia).

I see. I was wondering because your profile says that your location is in Jakarta but it has a Canadian flag.
It's the National Indonesian Curriculum.

Related to Problem solving calculating area

What is the formula for calculating area?

The formula for calculating area depends on the shape of the object. For a square or rectangle, the formula is length x width. For a triangle, the formula is 1/2 x base x height. For a circle, the formula is pi x radius squared. For irregular shapes, there is no single formula and the area must be calculated using other methods.

Why is calculating area important?

Calculating area is important because it helps us determine the amount of space an object or shape takes up. This information is useful in many fields such as construction, architecture, engineering, and design. It also helps us solve real-world problems involving measurements and dimensions.

What are some common units of measurement for area?

The most common units of measurement for area are square meters (m^2), square feet (ft^2), and acres. Other units include square centimeters (cm^2), square inches (in^2), and hectares. The unit used will depend on the size and context of the object being measured.

How do you solve a problem involving calculating area?

To solve a problem involving calculating area, you first need to identify the shape of the object and the given measurements. Then, use the appropriate formula to calculate the area. Make sure to convert units if necessary. Finally, double check your calculations and provide your answer with the correct unit of measurement.

What are some tips for problem solving when calculating area?

Some tips for problem solving when calculating area include: carefully reading the problem and identifying the given information, drawing a diagram or visual representation of the object, using the correct formula for the shape, double checking your calculations, and providing your answer with the correct unit of measurement.