Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trigonometry Problem solving 2 variable equal triangle problem

jeflon

Feb 22, 2014
I solved this many years ago, but after revisiting Trig in order to tutor my daughter, I revisited this to stimulate myself but am hitting a brick wall.

Problem:
A 4 inch square sits in a corner(picture x,y origin). A 12 inch ruler or line leans against the wall at an angle such that there are 3 points of contact: wall, the outer corner of the block, and the floor.
At what point on the ruler does the corner of the block make contact?

Efforts:
We know that the upper triangle and lower triangle are of same angles. (Ruler passes through 2 paralell lines, being the floor and the top of the 4 inch block. So the trig function ratios are equal.
I have gone the route of setting the large triangle hypotenuse (12) equal to the sum of the hypotenuses of the smaller triangles leading me down a path that still leaves me with 2 variables.

I would appreciate some input as to a fresh way of approaching this problem, not necessarily the answer.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I would draw a diagram:

jeflon.jpg

By similarity, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{4}=\frac{4}{x}\implies y=\frac{16}{x}\)

Using the Pythagorean theorem on the large triangle, we may write:

\(\displaystyle (x+4)^2+(y+4)^2=12^2\)

Now using the expression for $y$ in terms of $x$ to get an equation in one variable. Once you have $x$, then you may determine $d$ using the Pythagorean theorem where:

\(\displaystyle x^2+4^2=d^2\)

jeflon

Feb 22, 2014
Many thanks, I had your step one and two but it was after making it more complicated than it needed to be and going off in wrong directions.
thanks again.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I would draw a diagram:

View attachment 2006

By similarity, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{4}=\frac{4}{x}\implies y=\frac{16}{x}\)

Using the Pythagorean theorem on the large triangle, we may write:

\(\displaystyle (x+4)^2+(y+4)^2=12^2\)

Now using the expression for $y$ in terms of $x$ to get an equation in one variable. Once you have $x$, then you may determine $d$ using the Pythagorean theorem where:

\(\displaystyle x^2+4^2=d^2\)
I would be inclined to write that the entire horizontal length from the origin to the ruler as being length x, considering it's the position it will take on the x axis...

jeflon

Feb 22, 2014
I would be inclined to write that the entire horizontal length from the origin to the ruler as being length x, considering it's the position it will take on the x axis...
I went that direction also in some of my attempts, labeling unknown x,y with respect to large triangle as x-4 and y-4 respectively.