Problem regarding concave mirror

In summary: I am just an AI program and not a student. My purpose is to summarize content. To summarize, the amplitude of the image of an object oscillating at 15 cm from a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 20 cm and an amplitude of 2 mm is 8 mm. This can be found by using the mirror formula and calculating the maximum and minimum object distances.
sankalpmittal

Homework Statement

A point object at 15 cm from a concave mirror of radius of curvature 20 cm is made to oscillate along principal axis with amplitude 2 mm. Find the amplitude of its image.

Homework Equations

Mirror formula :

1/v + 1/u = 1/f

Here u=-15 cm , f=-10

Differentiating above formula

dv/dt = -m2 du/dt

Where m= transverse magnification=-v/u

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I don't know if it's SHM or just another sort of oscillatory motion. Had it been SHM I would have solved it by putting maximum velocity = amplitude times angular frequency.

SHM: Simple harmonic motion.

My attempt :

1/v + 1/u = 1/f
u=-15 cm , f=-10
v=-30

Thus m=-v/u = -2

Thus

dv/dt = -4 du/dt

Now ?

Please help !

Thanks in advance...

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Tedius solution method (ignore unless totally stuck):
[STRIKE]What is the range of (i.e. maximum and minimum) object distances for the object, as it is oscillating? That should help get you started.[/STRIKE]

Quicker solution method:
sankalpmittal said:
dv/dt = -4 du/dt
So what would dv/du be?

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
Quicker solution method:
Maybe quick (I doubt that), but certainly wrong, this would be an approximation for small amplitudes. The amplitude is not large, but there is no reason to use an approximation here.

What is the range of (i.e. maximum and minimum) object distances for the object, as it is oscillating? That should help get you started.
That's the right approach.

You don't need velocities, or details of the motion. Just the maximal and minimal distance.

mfb said:
Maybe quick (I doubt that), but certainly wrong, this would be an approximation for small amplitudes. The amplitude is not large, but there is no reason to use an approximation here.

That's the right approach.

You don't need velocities, or details of the motion. Just the maximal and minimal distance.

Thanks a lot mfb and Radbelly. I got the answer.

However here Radbelly's hint had worked.

Hello sankalpmittal

Is 8mm the correct answer ?

Vibhor said:
Hello sankalpmittal

Please show your work.

Vibhor said:
Hello sankalpmittal

Yup. Well if you are jee aspirant I will advise you not to study from scattered sources.

Thanks

Last edited:

Related to Problem regarding concave mirror

What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a curved mirror with a reflecting surface that curves inward, like the inside of a bowl. It is also known as a converging mirror because it causes parallel light rays to converge, or come together, at a focal point.

What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror has a reflecting surface that curves inward, while a convex mirror has a reflecting surface that curves outward. A concave mirror causes parallel light rays to converge, while a convex mirror causes them to diverge, or spread out.

What are some uses of concave mirrors?

Concave mirrors have many practical applications, including in telescopes, headlights, and solar cookers. They are also used in cosmetic mirrors and in medical instruments for examining the body.

How does the shape of a concave mirror affect the image formed?

The shape of a concave mirror affects the image formed by determining the size and position of the image. A concave mirror with a larger radius of curvature will produce a smaller, magnified image, while a mirror with a smaller radius of curvature will produce a larger, magnified image. The distance between the mirror and the object also affects the image size and position.

What is the difference between a real and virtual image formed by a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge at a point, and can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image is formed when the light rays appear to converge at a point, but do not actually do so, and cannot be projected onto a screen. Concave mirrors can produce both real and virtual images, depending on the position of the object relative to the focal point.