Problem on vapor pressureI'm stumbled

• Thread starter zarul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vapor
In summary, the conversation discusses using Raoult's law and the concept of Lever Law to determine the pressure and mole fractions of a mixture of 1 mol benzene and 1 mol toluene. The total vapor pressure of the mixture can be calculated using Raoult's law.
zarul
This problem really got me.

Take the vapor pressures of pure benzene and pure toluene to be 103 and 32 mm Hg. resp. The pressure on a mixture of 1 mol benzene and 1 mol toluene is reduced until half of the mixture is vaporized. What is this pressure and what are the mole fractions of the benzene in the liquid and the vapor phases.

I am totally lost in this problem. I know we need to use Raoult's law and use the concept of Lever Law but I just can't connect the ideas to get the right answer.

Hope someone will come up with good explanation and answer.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd begin by using Raoult's law to calculate the total vapor pressure of the mixture...what do you get when you do that?

Related to Problem on vapor pressureI'm stumbled

1. What is vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by a vapor in equilibrium with its condensed phases (solid or liquid) at a given temperature in a closed system.

2. How does vapor pressure relate to temperature?

Vapor pressure increases as temperature increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for molecules to escape the liquid and become a gas.

3. Why is understanding vapor pressure important?

Understanding vapor pressure is important in various industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and chemical manufacturing. It helps determine the volatility and stability of substances, which can impact their storage, transportation, and use.

4. What factors affect vapor pressure?

The factors that affect vapor pressure include temperature, intermolecular forces, and the nature of the substance (i.e. its molecular weight, polarity, and shape).

5. How can I solve problems related to vapor pressure?

To solve problems related to vapor pressure, you can use the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which relates vapor pressure to temperature and enthalpy of vaporization. You can also use phase diagrams and tables to determine the vapor pressure of a substance at a given temperature.