Problem on Simultaneous equations

In summary, the number which gets by exchanging the first digit and the last digit is greater than by 495 from the previous number.
mathlearn
There is a number between 100 and 1000. Its middle digit is 0.sum of the rest , first and last digits is 11.The number which gets by exchanging the first digit and the last digit is greater than by 495 from the previous number

I. Build up an equation for the sum of first digit and the last digit.

II.Build up an equation for the number which gets by exchanging the first digit and the last digit

III. Find the number

I'm stuck on this problem so far i think and I'm not sure whether its correct my equation would be

f(first digit)+l(last digit)-r(rest digits)=11

an I'm completely unable to think a solution for the second and third problem.

Can you help me on this sum and would you be kind enough to explain this in a little detailed manner

Many thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would let $F$ be the first digit and $L$ be the last digit, and so the number $N$ is:

\(\displaystyle N=100F+L\)

Now, we are told:

\(\displaystyle F+L=11\tag{1}\)

and:

\(\displaystyle (100L+F)-(100F+L)=495\)

If we simplify this last equation by combining like terms, we find:

\(\displaystyle 99L-99F=495\)

Dividing through by 99, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle L-F=5\tag{2}\)

What do we get if we add (1) and (2)?

Then we get 2L=16 and \(\displaystyle \therefore L=8\)

- - - Updated - - -

So Is the number 8?

Many Thanks

mathlearn said:
Then we get 2L=16 and \(\displaystyle \therefore L=8\)

Correct! (Yes)

So, what must $F$ be, and then what must $N$ be?

Can you tell me how did you arrive at

"I would let FF be the first digit and LL be the last digit, and so the number NN is:

N=100F+LN=100F+L"

Many Thanks

L-F=5
8-F=5
-F=5-8
F=3

and

N=100*3+8
N=308

So is the number 308 or just 8

I chose $F$ to be the First digit and $L$ to be the Last digit so it would be obvious which is which. How you decide to name your variables when solving a problem is up to you, as long as it makes sense to you.

Now, a base 10 (decimal) number is represented by the numerals (0-9) multiplied by powers of 10...for example the number 512 is:

\(\displaystyle 5\cdot10^2+1\cdot10^1+2\cdot10^0\)

So, if we have a 3 digit number, where the first digit is $F$, the s econd digit is 0 and the last is $L$, then the number $N$ is:

\(\displaystyle N=F\cdot10^2+0\cdot10^1+L\cdot10^0=100F+L\)

Does this make sense?

mathlearn said:
L-F=5
8-F=5
-F=5-8
F=3

and

N=100*3+8
N=308

So is the number 308 or just 8

\(\displaystyle N=308\), so the number you are asked to find is 308, and indeed we find:

\(\displaystyle 803-308=495\) as required. :D

so to sum up then,

F=3
L=8
N=308

Many Thanks

Related to Problem on Simultaneous equations

1. What is a simultaneous equation?

A simultaneous equation is a set of two or more equations that are solved simultaneously to determine the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations.

2. How do you solve a problem on simultaneous equations?

The most common method for solving simultaneous equations is by substitution or elimination. In substitution, one equation is solved for one variable and that value is substituted into the other equation. In elimination, the two equations are simplified by adding or subtracting them to eliminate one variable, and then the remaining equation is solved for the other variable.

3. What is the importance of solving simultaneous equations?

Solving simultaneous equations is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows us to find the intersection of multiple lines or curves and determine the values of variables that satisfy certain conditions. This can be useful in solving optimization problems, modeling systems, and predicting outcomes.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables, but the number of equations should also be equal to the number of variables for a unique solution to exist. If there are more variables than equations, the system is considered underdetermined and may have infinite solutions.

5. What if there are no solutions to a set of simultaneous equations?

If there are no solutions, it means that the equations are inconsistent and do not have a common solution. This could happen when the equations represent parallel lines or if there is a mistake in the equations. In such cases, the system is said to be overdetermined and has no unique solution.