Problem on Parallelogram proof

In summary: So, $PS/QR=PT/QT$.In summary, we expect students to actively engage in solving problems rather than just providing solutions. It is helpful to show attempts and where they may be stuck in order for us to provide tailored guidance. The given problem involves proving that $\triangle PST$ and $\triangle QRT$ are equiangular triangles and that $PS/QR=PT/QT$. This can be shown through the fact that corresponding angles are equal and the triangles are similar, leading to the ratio of corresponding sides being equal.
mathlearn

Attachments

• New Document 217.jpg
    New Document 217.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 105
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB, mathlearn! (Wave)

Our goal here is not to simply provide detailed solutions to posted problems, but rather to help the student by engaging them in the process of arriving to a solution. The student benefits more by doing than by watching.

We expect for you to post what you've tried so far, in order that we can see where you are stuck and how you might be going astray so we can address those points to help guide you in the right direction.

You've posted 3 questions so far without any work shown, so please revisit your 3 threads and include your attempts at solving them and our helpers will be able to provide help aimed specifically at your needs. :)

S far i have drawn the Line QS other than that i think it has got to to do some thing with the midpoints of the trapezium

- - - Updated - - -

So far i have drawn the Line QS other than that i think it has got to to do some thing with the midpoints of the trapezium

Consider triangle $PQS$. What is true about segments $\overline{AD}$ and $\overline{QS}$ ?

Dear greg1313,

Considering the triangle PQS I think AD should be equal to half of QS. And I am still no seeing a way to prove that ABCD is a parallelogram

Am I missing something? An equiangular triangle means that all three angles are equal (in other words, the same as equilateral). In the given problem that is not (in general) going to be true.

mathlearn said:
Considering the triangle PQS I think AD should be equal to half of QS. And I am still no seeing a way to prove that ABCD is a parallelogram
Yes, $AD=QS/2$, but also $AD$ is parallel to $QS$ as a midsegment in $\triangle PQS$ (the triangle midsegment theorem). Similarly, $BC$ is parallel to $QS$. Therefore, $AD$ is parallel to $BC$. In a similar way one proves that $AB$ is parallel to $DC$. And the fact that opposite sides are parallel is one of the equivalent definitions of a parallelogram.

Actually, the fact that $AD=BC=QS/2$ and $AB=DC=PR/2$ is yet another one of the equivalent definitions of a parallelogram.

mrtwhs said:
Am I missing something? An equiangular triangle means that all three angles are equal (in other words, the same as equilateral). In the given problem that is not (in general) going to be true.
Apparently, the problem asks to show that the two triangles $PST$ and $QRT$ have their respective angles equal, not that all angles are equal in one triangle. In this case, $\triangle PST$ and $\triangle QRT$ are similar, which implies the equality in item v.

Thank you for your detailed explanation.Going ahead

View attachment 5781

Help me to say \(\displaystyle \triangle PST and\triangle QRT \)are equiangular triangles

and show PS/QR=PT/QT

Many thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 73
$\angle PST=\angle QRT$ because these are corresponding angles at parallel lines $PS$ and $QR$. Similarly $\angle SPT=\angle RQT$. Angle $T$ is common to both triangles. Thus, the triangles are similar. This link gives an equivalent definition of similarity in terms of side ratios.

Related to Problem on Parallelogram proof

What is a parallelogram?

A parallelogram is a quadrilateral with two pairs of parallel sides. This means that the opposite sides of a parallelogram are equal in length and parallel to each other.

What is the problem on parallelogram proof?

The problem on parallelogram proof is a mathematical problem that involves proving the properties and relationships of parallelograms. This often includes proving that opposite sides are equal, opposite angles are equal, and the diagonals bisect each other.

How do you prove that a quadrilateral is a parallelogram?

To prove that a quadrilateral is a parallelogram, you can use one of the following methods:

1. Show that both pairs of opposite sides are parallel.
  2. Show that both pairs of opposite sides are equal in length.
  3. Show that one pair of opposite sides is parallel and equal in length.
  4. Show that the diagonals bisect each other.

What are some properties of parallelograms?

Some properties of parallelograms include:

1. Opposite sides are equal in length.
  2. Opposite sides are parallel.
  3. Opposite angles are equal.
  4. Consecutive angles are supplementary (add up to 180 degrees).
  5. Diagonals bisect each other.
  6. Diagonals are equal in length.

How do you use the properties of parallelograms in problem on parallelogram proof?

The properties of parallelograms can be used to prove that a given quadrilateral is a parallelogram. They can also be used to find missing angles or sides in a parallelogram. In problem on parallelogram proof, these properties are used to logically reason and provide evidence for the solution to the problem.