Problem on Operational Amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a circuit assignment and whether or not the internal resistance and supply voltage should be considered in finding V_0. It is concluded that a non-ideal circuit should be sketched to determine the effects of these factors. The conversation also touches on the characteristics of an operational amplifier and a request for help in designing a circuit.
lowqiumei
Hi,

Just I really short question. I have attached my assignment as a picture file. Don't worry I am not asking you to give me a solution.

I just want to know, in the question it tells us that there is a internal resistance of 1MΩ, and a supply voltage of 10V. I am really confuse, as all the questions i have did so far I have assume as ideal and has never taken consideration of internal resistance and supply voltage.

So my question here is, to find V_0, do I have to consider the internal resistance and supply voltage in my working?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
lowqiumei said:
Hi,

Just I really short question. I have attached my assignment as a picture file. Don't worry I am not asking you to give me a solution.

I just want to know, in the question it tells us that there is a internal resistance of 1MΩ, and a supply voltage of 10V. I am really confuse, as all the questions i have did so far I have assume as ideal and has never taken consideration of internal resistance and supply voltage.

So my question here is, to find V_0, do I have to consider the internal resistance and supply voltage in my working?

You should be able to sketch an equivalent circuit where the non-ideal characteristics are included, and then conclude whether or not they will affect the outcome.

the amplifier in your diagram has no negative (or positive) feedback, it is 'open loop'. Do you realize what that means.

Yes, So means I can no longer assume that there is no current flowing into operational amplifier and V+ is not equal to V-. And I also know that this is a voltage comparator.

Since it is a comparator, Am i right to say that when:
V+ > V- the output voltage will be +Vs
V- > V+ the output voltage will be -Vs

In this question since V- > V+, can i safely say that the output voltage will be -10v ?

Yes, that is correct (altho no sign is given for Vi I think you can assume that it is +)

lowqiumei said:
Since it is a comparator, Am i right to say that when:
V+ > V- the output voltage will be +Vs
V- > V+ the output voltage will be -Vs

In this question since V- > V+, can i safely say that the output voltage will be -10v ?

In practice you can 'safely' say it if you've determined that the non-ideal characteristics of the op-amp won't leave the output in the active region rather than saturated (pegged to either supply rail). In this case the gain and input resistance happen to be sufficiently high so that this is not an issue.

Operational Amplifier

I need a circuit that adds an AC signal with magnitude of 25mV and a variable DC signal between 0 to 5V, and applies it to a diode.

yasef said:
I need a circuit that adds an AC signal with magnitude of 25mV and a variable DC signal between 0 to 5V, and applies it to a diode.

You might want to ask the question in the Electrical Engineering forum, or investigate "summing amplifier".

Related to Problem on Operational Amplifier

1. What is an operational amplifier?

An operational amplifier, also known as an op-amp, is a type of electronic circuit component that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It is commonly used in many electronic devices, such as audio amplifiers, filters, and signal conditioners.

2. What are some common problems encountered when using operational amplifiers?

Some common problems with operational amplifiers include offset voltage, input bias current, and slew rate limitations. These can affect the accuracy and performance of the amplifier and must be carefully considered and addressed in circuit design.

3. How can I troubleshoot problems with my operational amplifier circuit?

If you are experiencing issues with your operational amplifier circuit, the first step is to check for any loose connections or faulty components. You may also want to analyze the signal waveforms at different points in the circuit to identify any potential problems.

4. How can I prevent oscillation in my operational amplifier circuit?

Oscillation, or unwanted high-frequency feedback, can be a common issue in operational amplifier circuits. To prevent this, it is important to properly design the feedback network and ensure that the circuit is properly grounded. Adding a capacitor to the feedback path can also help to stabilize the circuit.

5. How do I choose the right operational amplifier for my application?

When selecting an operational amplifier, it is important to consider factors such as bandwidth, input and output voltage ranges, and supply voltage requirements. Additionally, you should carefully review the datasheet and consider the amplifier's performance specifications to ensure it meets the requirements of your specific application.