Problem on Equilibrium ( STATICS )

In summary: No, you need to solve for the entire system.In summary, the problem asks for the weight and force of the upper thrust collar, as well as the weight and force of the lower thrust collar, and the strength of the support reactions between them. It also asks for the horizontal radius from the O-B plane, the angle of the O-A axis to the horizontal, and the weight and force of the hanging weight.
lakuzamalakuzam
1601705877930.png

so i was wondering what assumptions needed to make this solvable and ' support at both thrust collars can totally support the moments of 400 Nm before they slip' means which axis of moment

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem?

There is a contradiction, in that the “thrust collars” must withstand a moment.
Thrust would be axial, moment would be about the axis.

Is that a moment of 400 N⋅m each, making 800 N⋅m, or a total of 400 N⋅m together ?

How much does the structure weigh, is that important ?

You need to provide some feedback to the answers you receive.

Likes lakuzamalakuzam
Yeah It's a homework problem.
I'm not sure what the problem means when it says 400 NM but from my understanding i think it is in OA axis with assumption that the system is properly aligned.
The structure weight is negligible.

lakuzamalakuzam said:
Is that a specified assumption, or an additional assumption ?

lakuzamalakuzam said:
Yeah It's a homework problem.
I'm not sure what the problem means when it says 400 NM but from my understanding i think it is in OA axis with assumption that the system is properly aligned.
but then there will be 9 unknowns ( Fx ,F//OA, Fperpendicular to OA, couple in OA axis for each of the thrust collar and W) with 3 scalar equation and 1 vector equation = 4 eq
so i think i will have to make further assumptions like there are no support reaction on the upper thrust collar and now there are 5 unknowns which isn't solvable

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
Is that a specified assumption, or an additional assumption ?
additional assumption

The horizontal radius from O-B confuses things.
Too many equations, and not enough understanding of the system.

To resolve the moment, should it not be sufficient to resolve the distance of the hanging weight from ZY plane that contains the O-A axis, and the angle of the O-A axis to the horizontal ?

Related to Problem on Equilibrium ( STATICS )

1. What is equilibrium in the context of statics?

Equilibrium in statics refers to a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How do you determine if an object is in equilibrium?

An object is in equilibrium if the sum of all forces acting on it is equal to zero. This can be determined by using the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the x-direction and the sum of all forces in the y-direction must both be equal to zero.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is moving at a constant velocity in a straight line. In dynamic equilibrium, the sum of all forces acting on the object is still equal to zero, but there may also be a non-zero net torque acting on the object.

4. How do you calculate the center of mass in statics?

The center of mass in statics can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up the object. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a chosen reference point, and then dividing the sum of these values by the total mass of the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of statics?

Statics has many practical applications, including in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. It is also used in the analysis of forces acting on objects in various situations, such as in sports and transportation. Additionally, statics is important in understanding the stability of objects and structures, as well as in the study of fluid mechanics.