Problem on calculating decay rates/lifetimes

• Thread starter AuraCrystal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the decay rate of a process involving an interaction term in the Lagrangian. The transition amplitude is computed using a Dyson expansion and the lowest order term in \mu is considered. The final step involves considering the commutation of operators, which leads to the need to consider higher order terms in the expansion.
AuraCrystal

Homework Statement

Given the Lagrangian

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2} ( \partial_{\mu} \Phi)^2-\frac{1}{2}M^2 \Phi ^2 + \frac{1}{2} ( \partial_{\mu} \phi)^2-\frac{1}{2}M^2 \phi ^2-\mu \Phi \phi \phi,[/itex]

[The last term, the interaction term allows a [itex]\Phi[/itex] particle to decay into 2 [itex]\phi[/itex] particles, assuming of course that M>2m.] Calculate the decay rate of that process to lowest order in [itex]\mu[/itex]

Homework Equations

Dyson expansion, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I'm stuck on computing the transition amplitude here. Following Aitchison and Hey, the transition amplitude is (letting the initial momentum be pi and the final momenta be p1 and p2):

[itex]<f|S|i>=<p_1, p_2|S|p_i>[/itex]

To the lowest order in [itex]\mu[/itex], the S-matrix is

[itex]S=-i\mu \int d^4 x \mathcal{H}_{interaction}=-i\mu \int d^4 x \Phi \phi \phi[/itex]

so to lowest order, the transition amplitude is

[itex]<p_1, p_2|S|p_i>=-i\mu<0|a_{\phi}(p_1) a_{\phi}(p_2) \sqrt(2E_1) \sqrt(2E_2) \int d^4 x \Phi \phi \phi \sqrt(2E_i) a_{\Phi}^{\dagger}(p_i) |0>[/itex]
Considering just the last bit, namely
[itex]\phi \phi \sqrt(2E_i) a_{\Phi}^{\dagger}(p_i) |0> [/itex]
We can expand the [itex]\phi[/itex] in terms of creation and annihilation operators, right? For the annihilation operator, it'll commute with the [itex]a_{\Phi}^{\dagger}(p_i)[/itex] so that term will give 0. For the other[itex]\phi[/itex], we get the same thing. So you're going to get something like

[itex]\int a_{\phi}^{\dagger}(p_i) a_{\phi}^{\dagger}(p_i) a_{\Phi}^{\dagger}(p_i) |0>[/itex]

Can't you just commute [itex]a_{\Phi}^{\dagger}(p_i)[/itex] to the left? When bracketed with the final state which has no [itex]\Phi[/itex] particles, this'll give 0. Did I make a mistake? Or do I just have to consider a higher order term in the Dyson expansion?

Physics news on Phys.org
AuraCrystal said:
Can't you just commute [itex]a_{\Phi}^{\dagger}(p_i)[/itex] to the left? When bracketed with the final state which has no [itex]\Phi[/itex] particles, this'll give 0. Did I make a mistake? Or do I just have to consider a higher order term in the Dyson expansion?

When moving [itex]a_{\Phi}^{\dagger}(p_i)[/itex] to the left, wouldn't you need to consider what happens when moving it past [itex]\Phi[/itex]?

^Yeah, I forgot about that! Thanks! :)

Related to Problem on calculating decay rates/lifetimes

What is the definition of decay rate/lifetime?

Decay rate or lifetime refers to the rate at which an unstable particle or element decays or breaks down into more stable forms. It is measured in units of inverse time, such as per second or per year.

How do you calculate decay rate/lifetime?

The decay rate/lifetime can be calculated using the equation: A(t) = A(0)e^(-λt), where A(t) is the amount of the substance at time t, A(0) is the initial amount, and λ is the decay constant. The lifetime can be found by taking the inverse of the decay constant, t = 1/λ.

What factors affect the decay rate/lifetime?

The decay rate/lifetime is affected by various factors such as the type of particle or element, the energy of the particle, and the surrounding environment. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

Why is calculating decay rate/lifetime important?

Calculating decay rate/lifetime is important in various fields of science, including nuclear physics, geology, and archaeology. It allows us to understand the behavior of unstable particles and elements, and also helps in determining the age of objects and materials.

What are some common misconceptions about calculating decay rate/lifetime?

One common misconception is that the decay rate/lifetime is constant for all particles or elements. In reality, it can vary depending on the specific particle or element. Another misconception is that the decay rate/lifetime can be altered or manipulated. However, it is a natural process and cannot be changed by external factors.