Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks again to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem: Evaluate the integral
\[\int_0^1 \int_0^1 \exp(\max\{x^2,y^2\})\,dy\,dx\]
where $\exp(u) = e^u$ and $\max\{x^2,y^2\}$ means the larger of the numbers $x^2$ and $y^2$.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
This week's problem was correctly answered by chisigma, lfdahl, magneto, MarkFL, and Pranav. You can find Mark's solution below.

First, we need to determine where $y^2>x^2$ in the square region over which we are integrating. We find that the diagonal of the square along the line $y=x$ divides the region into two areas. The right isosceles triangle with vertices $(0,0),\,(0,1),\,(1,1)$ is where $y^2\ge x$ and the right isosceles triangle with vertices $(0,0),\,(1,1),\,(1,0)$ is where $x^2\ge y^2$.

We will treat the triangular region where $x^2\ge y^2$ as a Type I region and the region where $y^2\ge x$ as a Type II region.

Thus, we may state:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1\int_0^1 \exp\left(\max\left(x^2,y^2 \right) \right)\,dy\,dx=\int_0^1\int_0^x e^{x^2}\,dy\,dx+\int_0^1\int_0^y e^{y^2}\,dx\,dy\)

Rewriting the iterated integrals, we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 e^{x^2}\left[\int_0^x \,dy \right]\,dx+\int_0^1e^{y^2}\left[\int_0^y \,dx \right]\,dy\)

Applying the FTOC on the inner integrals, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 xe^{x^2}\,dx+\int_0^1 ye^{y^2}\,dy\)

Observing that if we change the dummy variables of integration both to $u$, we find:

\(\displaystyle I=2\int_0^1 ue^{u^2}\,du\)

Using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle v=u^2\,\therefore\,dv=2u\,du\)

We find:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 e^{v}\,dv=\left.e^v \right|_0^1=e-1\)

Hence, we may conclude that:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1\int_0^1 \exp\left(\max\left(x^2,y^2 \right) \right)\,dy\,dx=e-1\)

Status
Not open for further replies.