Special Relativity and radioactive nucleus

In summary, the radioactive nucleus emits an alpha particle with a velocity of 6c/7 in the rest frame of the nucleus and a velocity of 3c/4 in the rest frame of the lab.
Pyrokenesis
I was wondering if I could get some guidance regarding the following question:

"A radioactive nucleus, moving in a straight line, decays and emits an alpha particle. In the rest frame of the nucleus, the emitted particle moves with a velocity 6c/7, at an angle of 60 degrees to the direction of motion of the nucleus. If a laboratory experimenter observes the particle to be emitted at an angle of 30 degrees to the original velocity of the nucleus, calculate the speed of the radioactive nucleus in the lab frame."

A nudge in the right direction would be brilliant.

Thanks much,

Pyro...

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about:

x'= (x - ut)/√(1 - u2/c2)

y' = y

and of course the transformations for t and vx (this is assuming you don't already have the transformation for vy

Cheers,

I shall now make an attempt to solve it.

I'm still slightly baffled, any further help would be brilliant!

Cheers.

Think about the problem in terms of the components of velocity (and as you need only consider two dimensions they are vx, which you should already have the formula for, and vy which you may not have the formula for, but should be able to derive) of the emitted particle in the rest frame of the nucleus and the rest frame of the lab and how they are related.

Okay, if u(x) = 6c/7cos(theta) then I think I'm on the right track.

And u(y) = u(y)'.

Thanx.

I'm not sure exactly what you want your notaion to mean but I think you may of made a mistake as vy is not equal to vy'.

Yes I see that now I was just being slow of brain, however I have an answer now for v using just the values of u(x) and u(x)', and the transformation velocity equation for u(x). Is that the velocity of the S' frame and is it needed?

I'm trying to work out exactl;y what you've claculated, but get the answer you need to work out an equation relating uy to uy'

To make it easier for you (though you will probably still need to derive this, if it's not given):

uy' = uy√(1 - vx2/c2)/(1 + uxvx/c2)

In this case u is the velocity of the alpha particle in the rest frame of the lab, u' is the velocity of the alpha particle in the rest frame of the nucleus and v is the velocity of the nucleus in the rest frmae of the lab.

Last edited:
I have an equation:

u(y)' = u(y)/(gamma)(1 - u(x)v/c^2).

Is this the equation?

Yes the two equations are equivalent,

Sorry, didnt see your last reply. Our equations look similar (apart from a difference in sign, mine is probably wrong then) and obviously v is the speed of the nucleus which is the moving frame.

I've just realized, I misread your first post, I thought 6c/7 was the velocity of the nucleus not the alpha particle, anyway it shouldn't matter too much it just means that the answer that I worked out for myself is wrong.

Thanx for all your help. Should have seen it all along!

1. What is Special Relativity and how does it relate to radioactive nuclei?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time. It explains how objects in motion are affected by the laws of physics. In regards to radioactive nuclei, Special Relativity helps us understand the behavior and properties of these nuclei, including how they decay.

2. How does Special Relativity impact the half-life of a radioactive nucleus?

Special Relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the half-life of a radioactive nucleus will be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This is because the decay process is governed by the fundamental laws of physics, which are not affected by an observer's motion.

3. Can Special Relativity explain why certain radioactive nuclei decay at different rates?

Yes, Special Relativity can explain the different decay rates of radioactive nuclei. This is because the rate of decay is affected by the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the decay process, which are influenced by the laws of Special Relativity.

4. How does the theory of Special Relativity impact our understanding of nuclear reactions?

Special Relativity plays a crucial role in our understanding of nuclear reactions. It helps us understand the energy and momentum involved in these reactions, as well as the behavior of particles within the nucleus. Additionally, the concepts of time dilation and length contraction, which are central to Special Relativity, have important implications for nuclear reactions.

5. Is Special Relativity necessary for understanding the behavior of radioactive nuclei?

Yes, Special Relativity is necessary for understanding the behavior of radioactive nuclei. Without this theory, we would not be able to accurately describe the decay process or explain the properties of these nuclei. Special Relativity is an essential tool for understanding the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of all particles, including those found in radioactive nuclei.