Will SETI@home users receive recognition if the mothership returns?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the SETI@home project and the potential benefits for participants if alien life is ever discovered. There was also discussion about the project's methods and potential for fake signals.
eNtRopY
When the mothership returns...

So if we ever make contact with alien life, is there anything in it for us SETI@home dudes? I mean I've already completed hundreds of units; I feel like I should get some credit for all that hard work my computer did.

eNtRopY

Engineering news on Phys.org
never heard of it. what do you guys do?

So if we ever make contact with alien life, is there anything in it for us SETI@home dudes? I mean I've already completed hundreds of units; I feel like I should get some credit for all that hard work my computer did.

I really don't think so, as the integrity of the data is not really that well protected, it makes you wonder the real motives or scientific capability of this institution.

Whatever its all good stuff, as long as did not spend to much money on it ;)

Originally posted by eNtRopY

I wondered that too. I think a visit to Arecibo would be cool ... for me or my computer

Originally posted by maximus
never heard of it. what do you guys do?
Have you ever see the film Contact? Well, in reality, you don't quite listen to signals from outer space on earphones. You send them either to an expensive supercomputer or use the Seti@Home system.

Seti@Home is the world's most successful loose parallel computing project. The data from the telescopes are broken up into 100kb chunks and downloaded onto millions of normal PC and each individually analysed to find signals. Then you upload the completed "work unit" to the central computer. This saves years of supercomputer time. Join today!

My guess is at least a few hackers enjoy trying to make fake alien signals but I guess the way they decipher the data takes that into account?

Yeah. The same packet gets sent to several different client computers, and positive results are simply passed on to the supercomputer for additional analysis.

What do scientists believe will happen when the mothership returns?

There is no scientific evidence or consensus on the existence of a mothership, so no predictions can be made about its potential return.

How will the mothership impact Earth and its inhabitants?

Again, since the existence of a mothership has not been scientifically proven, there is no way to predict its potential impact on Earth and its inhabitants.

What is a mothership and where did the concept originate?

A mothership is a large spacecraft that serves as a base or carrier for smaller spacecraft. The concept originated in science fiction literature and media.

Is the idea of a mothership supported by any scientific evidence?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of a mothership.

What would be the purpose of a mothership's return to Earth?

This is purely speculation as there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a mothership or its potential return. Some science fiction stories suggest that it could be for invasion, exploration, or communication purposes.