Is it safe to drink old alcohol found in my home?

• Thread starter jb
  • Start date
In summary, it is not recommended to drink alcohol that has been sitting around for a long time, especially if it is vodka and you are young. The label indicating it was bottled in USSR suggests it is old and potentially unsafe to consume. Additionally, finding something floating in it is cause for concern. It may be best to just throw it out rather than risk drinking it. However, some argue that aged alcohol is better and it can still be consumed if the cap was on and it was stored properly. It may even have some value to collectors if it is authentic Russian vodka.
jb
is it safe to drink alcohol that has been sitting around for a long time? for example, i just found a bottle of vodka that was left by the previous owners of my home- and the label says "bottled in USSR." is it still ok to consume, or would i be better off throwing it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
it's just fermented a little longer! :wink:

if it was 80 proof originally, what would it be after 15 years?

i found something floating in it, i doubt it's anything like bacteria (hopefully not sars!) maybe just a lead paint chip. keep in mind this is soviet goods.

i wouldn't recommend drinking it, especially vodka, not at your age anyway I am guessing your don't drink alcohol much seeing as your quite young 16 i think? and if you found something floating in it i would most definately give it a miss.

Originally posted by jb
is it safe to drink alcohol that has been sitting around for a long time?

Well, it's not going to get any safer. Just drink it kid... maybe it'll put some hair on your chest.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by Andy
i wouldn't recommend drinking it, especially vodka, not at your age anyway I am guessing your don't drink alcohol much seeing as your quite young 16 i think? and if you found something floating in it i would most definately give it a miss.

haha, I'm not 16... and there's worse stuff i could be doing, like drinking it while I'm driving.

besides, what else is there to do with it? dumping it seems like a waste.

If it tastes bad just add some chilly

Alchohaul is aged. So more aging= better alchohaul. Go to it!

Do you throw away an old bottle of wine? I think not!

Do you throw away an old bottle of wine? I think not!

I would if it had already been opened, don't like wine much anyway but like vinegar even less! Does the same happen to Vodka if its left opened?

Oh well it's open then definitely toss it.

If it's left by previous owners, then definitely toss it.

Drunk people have been known to do strange things.

There is nothing wrong with vodka/rum/etc if it's old, AFAIK. The stuff is a disinfectant to begin with.

(VERY strange things)

If the vodka is 80 proof, it's not going to climb in proof. Remember that alcohol evaporates. But if the cap was on, it should be fine. I've had 20 year old moonshine before. It was as strong as it probably was coming off the still!

On second thought, if it's authentic Russian vodka and it is infact as old as you say, you might be able to sell it to a collector... or give it to me, and I'll drink it Finnish style.

eNtRopY

1. Is drinking old alcohol found in my home safe?

It depends on several factors, such as the type of alcohol, how it was stored, and for how long. In general, if the alcohol was stored properly and is not too old, it should be safe to drink. However, if there are any noticeable changes in color, smell, or taste, it is best to avoid drinking it.

2. How long can alcohol be stored before it is no longer safe to drink?

The shelf life of alcohol varies depending on the type of alcohol. Spirits, such as whiskey and vodka, can last indefinitely if stored properly. However, wine and beer have a shorter shelf life and should be consumed within a few years. Once opened, all types of alcohol should be consumed within a few months.

3. Can old alcohol make me sick?

If the alcohol was stored properly and is not too old, it is unlikely to make you sick. However, if it has been contaminated with bacteria or other harmful substances, it may cause illness. It is always best to err on the side of caution and avoid drinking old alcohol that has any noticeable changes in appearance, smell, or taste.

4. Can I get food poisoning from drinking old alcohol?

In most cases, alcohol has a high enough alcohol content to kill harmful bacteria, making it unlikely to cause food poisoning. However, if the alcohol has been contaminated with other substances, it may cause illness. It is best to avoid drinking old alcohol with noticeable changes in appearance, smell, or taste.

5. How can I tell if the old alcohol is still safe to drink?

The best way to determine if old alcohol is still safe to drink is to use your senses. Check for any changes in appearance, such as cloudiness or sediment. Smell the alcohol for any off-putting odors. Finally, take a small sip and taste for any unusual or unpleasant flavors. If there are any noticeable changes, it is best to avoid drinking it.