Pressure question that is really bugging me

• Thread starter ruby_duby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the weight of the car is 8000 N, with four tires supporting 2000 N each. The pressure of the tires (20 N/cm2) is not relevant to determine the weight supported by each tire.
ruby_duby
I really need help on this question because it is driving me insane.

A car weighs 8000 N. It has four wheels. Each tyre has a pressure of 20 N/CM2(cm squared).

If the weight is spread evenly, what is the weight supported by each tyre?

Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might be overthinking this one a bit.

If the car weighs 8000 N and its weight is spread evenly over its four tires, each tire must be supporting 2000 N. The pressure of the tires was thrown in there just to confuse you!

- Warren

The weight (messaured in kg)

2kiloNewton/g = 200kg

What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the amount of force applied to a given area. It is a measure of how much an object or substance is pushing against its surroundings.

How is pressure measured?

Pressure is typically measured in units such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). It can be measured using instruments such as pressure gauges or manometers.

What factors affect pressure?

The main factors that affect pressure include the force applied, the area over which the force is applied, and the properties of the material or substance being compressed.

What are some common examples of pressure in everyday life?

Some common examples of pressure in everyday life include the pressure exerted by the atmosphere on our bodies (atmospheric pressure), the pressure within our blood vessels (blood pressure), and the pressure in a car tire (tire pressure).

Why is understanding pressure important?

Understanding pressure is important in many fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of fluids and gases, and is essential for many practical applications such as building structures, designing machinery, and conducting experiments.