Problem of the Week #90 - December 16th, 2013

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the benefits of regular exercise and the importance of setting achievable goals. The speakers also highlighted the role of accountability and support in maintaining a consistent exercise routine. They emphasized that even small changes in daily habits can have a significant impact on overall health.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks again to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem: The illumination of an object by a light source is directly proportional to the strength of the source and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. If two light sources, one three times as strong as the other, are placed 10 ft apart, where should an object be placed on the line between the sources so as to receive the least illumination?

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's question was answered correctly by Ackbach, anemone, MarkFL and marthbalarka.

You can find Ackbach's solution here (using standard calculus):

[sp]Let $L$ be the illumination (luminosity), $I$ be the intensity (strength), $r$ the distance from the source to the point in question, and $k$ the proportionality constant. Then our general equation is
$$L= \frac{kI}{r^{2}}.$$
We assume the total luminosity adds linearly, so that $L_{ \text{tot}}=L_{1}+L_{2}$. Let $x$ be the distance along the line between the sources as measured from the stronger source. Then we seek to minimize the quantity
$$L_{ \text{tot}}= \frac{3kI}{x^{2}}+ \frac{kI}{(10-x)^{2}}.$$
The minimization of this quantity should occur at the same location as the minimization of
$$y:= \frac{L_{ \text{tot}}}{kI}= \frac{3}{x^{2}}+ \frac{1}{(10-x)^{2}}.$$
The bounds on $x$ are $x \in (0,10)$, since the luminosity technically blows up at each source. The minimum will obviously not occur at either source. Setting $y'=0$ is the same as setting
$$-6x^{-3}+2(10-x)^{-3}= \frac{2x^{3}-6(10-x)^{3}}{x^{3}(10-x)^{3}}=0,$$
which only happens when
$$2x^{3}=6(10-x)^{3} \implies x= \sqrt[3]{3}(10-x) \implies \boxed{x= \frac{10 \sqrt[3]{3}}{1+\sqrt[3]{3}} \, \text{feet} }.$$
Note that, since this value of $x$ is approximately $5.9$, it is in the interval. Also note that
$$y''=18x^{-4}+6(10-x)^{-4}>0;$$
it follows that we found a local minimum. Note also that the other two roots of the cubic are complex and therefore do not contribute critical points.[/sp]

You can find Mark's solution here (using Lagrange Multipliers):

[sp]Let's work this problem in general terms, and obtain a formula into which we can then plug our given data. Let:

\(\displaystyle 0<I_1\) be the illumination of first light source

\(\displaystyle 0<I_2\) be the illumination of second light source

\(\displaystyle 0<D\) be the distance between the light sources

\(\displaystyle x\) be the object's distance from the first light source

\(\displaystyle y\) be the object's distance from the second light source

Thus, our objective function, which is the total illumination received by the object is:

\(\displaystyle f(x,y)=I_1x^{-2}+I_2y^{-2}\)

subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle g(x,y)=x+y-D=0\)

Using Lagrange multipliers, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle -2I_1x^{-3}=\lambda\)

\(\displaystyle -2I_2y^{-3}=\lambda\)

From this we find:

\(\displaystyle \lambda=-2I_1x^{-3}=-2I_2y^{-3}\implies y=\sqrt[3]{\frac{I_2}{I_1}}x\)

Substituting for $y$ into the constraint, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle x+\sqrt[3]{\frac{I_2}{I_1}}x=D\)

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{D}{\sqrt[3]{\frac{I_2}{I_1}}+1}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle y=\sqrt[3]{\frac{I_2}{I_1}}\left(\frac{D}{\sqrt[3]{\frac{I_2}{I_1}}+1} \right)=\frac{D}{\sqrt[3]{\frac{I_1}{I_2}}+1}\)

Since the objective function is unbounded at the boundaries $(x,y)=(0,D),\,(D,0)$, we are assured these values for $x$ and $y$ are at the minimum.

Using the given data (where we define the second light source to be the stronger):

\(\displaystyle I_2=3I_1\)

\(\displaystyle D=10\text{ ft}\)

we find:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{10}{\sqrt[3]{3}+1}\text{ ft}\approx4.09458563186124\text{ ft}\)

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{10}{\sqrt[3]{\frac{1}{3}}+1}\text{ ft}\approx5.90541436813876\text{ ft}\)[/sp]

Related to Problem of the Week #90 - December 16th, 2013

1. What is the "Problem of the Week #90 - December 16th, 2013"?

The "Problem of the Week #90 - December 16th, 2013" is a mathematical problem that was posted on a website called Brilliant.org on December 16th, 2013. It is part of a series of weekly problems that are designed to challenge and engage people's critical thinking skills.

2. What is the purpose of the "Problem of the Week" series?

The purpose of the "Problem of the Week" series is to provide a platform for people to practice and improve their problem-solving abilities, particularly in the field of mathematics. It also aims to foster a community of individuals who are passionate about learning and challenging themselves.

3. How difficult are the problems in the "Problem of the Week" series?

The difficulty level of the problems in the "Problem of the Week" series varies, but they are generally considered to be challenging. They require a good understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think critically and creatively. However, the problems are designed to be solvable with the knowledge and skills of a high school student.

4. Can anyone participate in the "Problem of the Week" series?

Yes, anyone can participate in the "Problem of the Week" series. It is open to people of all ages and backgrounds who are interested in solving challenging mathematical problems. The problems are designed to be accessible to high school students, but anyone with a passion for problem-solving is welcome to participate.

5. Are there any rewards for solving the "Problem of the Week"?

Yes, there are rewards for solving the "Problem of the Week". Brilliant.org offers points and badges for solving problems, and there are also monthly and yearly leaderboards for top performers. Additionally, solving these types of challenging problems can improve critical thinking skills and provide a sense of accomplishment.