Relativity/speed of light/gravity

• Thread starter DivisionByZero
  • Start date
In summary, there is a long and ongoing discussion on the Blitz forums about the possibility of traveling at the speed of light and its implications for relativity. Guests are not able to post on this topic unless they have bought Blitz. The topic includes a person who believes it is all a scheme for gaining money. One user, 'bot builder', adds a humorous comment about their own abilities. The general consensus is that it is impossible to travel at the speed of light and still have relativity work.
DivisionByZero
I'm not really asking for myself, but there is a really, really long topic on blitz forums(blitz is the programming language that I'm doing my physics engine in.) Guests cannot, however post to these forums unless they have bought blitz.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=26762

here's the topic I'm talking about. it's currently 154 posts long, so if you got some time to spare or this is your kinda topic, check it out. It includes a person who's convinced everything is just a scheme for gaining money (flameduck). I'd be happy to say somthing (as a quote or a hyperlink to this topic) of course.

Hmmm. interesting topic really covers a lota of bases.

BTW I'm 'bot builder' and yes my arse really does effect tidal waves... (well it does)

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Looking at the first page, the answer is...

You can't travel at the speed of light. If you could, then relativity doesn't work, so we can't say what would happen.

Easy.

Yes, the correct conclusion should be: as your speed tends to the speed of light, your mass tends to infinity therefore it is impossible for you to travel at the speed of light.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental principle of modern physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It consists of two main theories: the special theory of relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and the general theory of relativity, which includes the effects of gravity on space and time.

2. How does the speed of light play a role in relativity?

According to the special theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel. This means that the laws of physics, including time and space, are the same for all observers moving at a constant speed, regardless of their relative motion. This is known as the principle of relativity.

3. What is the equation for calculating the effects of relativity?

The most famous equation in relativity is E=mc², which shows the relationship between energy, mass, and the speed of light. This equation explains how mass can be converted into energy and vice versa, and is the basis for understanding the power of nuclear reactions.

4. How does gravity affect time and space according to the general theory of relativity?

The general theory of relativity states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. This means that objects with more mass will have a greater effect on the curvature of space and time, and therefore experience a stronger gravitational pull.

5. Can the theory of relativity be proven?

Yes, the theory of relativity has been proven through numerous experiments and observations. For example, the famous Michelson-Morley experiment in the late 19th century showed that the speed of light is the same in all directions, regardless of the observer's motion. Additionally, the predictions made by the theory of relativity, such as the bending of starlight by massive objects, have been confirmed by observations.